Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My group project member wants credit for work she didn't do

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm in a year long class that's a requirement to graduate with my degree (human resources). Our term project is a group report and presentation. It's worth 50% of our grade, and if you fail any component of the class, you fail the whole thing. The professor made everything due tomorrow at midnight, and we start weekly presentations after that.

My group was supposed to be 5 of us. Me and the 3 guys attempted to contact the one girl through email at least 3 times each to try to get her to meet up with us to divvy up the work. No answer. I found her on the class online roster and messaged her through that. Nothing. We eventually said screw it, forget her, and emailed the professor about it. We divided up the work from there.

Today in class, she came up to me (I have no idea how she knew who I was- looked me up on Facebook?) and said she'd be super busy lately with her kids and everything going on, so she hadn't made it to class or been keeping up with her email. I said sorry, but we'd told the professor she wasn't in touch, that we'd be a group of 4 and we'd already done all the work.

She teared up and said she can't fail this class because it would put her a year behind, could we please give her something to do. I said that everything was done, it would take her way longer than one day to redo someone else's work and all of our grades shouldn't suffer because she did last minute work. She said she'd email us all tonight and she did, asking us to please put her name on the project. One of the guys in my group already emailed all of us, except her, saying no way.

What do you think? What would you do? Part of me is disgusted she's asking for this, part of me feels a bit bad for her since I know what being a student mom is like. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Mother's like that make us look bad dammit lol.

Quoting STVUstudent:

I had newborn twins, worked full time, and drove 2 hours to school once a week... and kept up with all my work and all my reading... screw that...

Quoting Toonkasmommy: Same here , fuck that.

Quoting Anonymous: Hell no. I am a single mom and in school fulltime and until recently was employed full time. I still got my work done.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM
No way. If she csnt do a simple project how the hell does she expect to hold a job. No one is so damn busy they cant read a damn email
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

She needs to cry on the professor's shoulder.  It's absolutely too late to just tack her name to work that she had no part in.  But maybe the prof will be lenient with her because of the whole kids thing and allow her to have an extention and complete her own individual project.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM
No. It was her responsibility to contact the professor if she needed an exemption or special accommodations due to personal reasons. Just blowing it off and then trying to fix it later is a stupid strategy.
askyourmother
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:24 AM

If she were serious about school she would make the time to do the work. Continue on with your group of 4.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Hell no. She knew she needed to help yet slacked off and didn't. If she is sooooooooo busy then she shouldn't be taking classes. Her fault she will fail. I would NOT put her name on it at all.
Charley427
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:26 AM
How is she not failing for other reasons like attendance and such. Whenever we had group projects we still had to be in class and hand in other assignments and such. Im sorry but she doesn't deserve the credit and its unfair to your whole group who did work hard for her to receive any.
Hoppers33
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM
I'm a student right now and I have 4 kids. I wouldn't dream of asking this of anyone! Not only is it not fair to the group, but I would miss out on a whole lesson that I need to know. People don't just get to shrug off their work at a real job because they have kids and are busy, school should be no different.
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Nope!
LetoLiebe
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope.

You do the work or you don't get credit. I would be disgusted too. It would have stopped there. She's not the only woman or man who has obtained a degree while caring for children or working as well as caring for her family. 

Working your ass off, pushing it to the limit to make the exceptional grades and have it all done on time. Working on papers/projects every free moment, even if that means all night for a couple nights in a row because you have family stuff or work stuff going on. That's just par for the course and that selfish bitch would get a very cold shoulder from me, at least, if she had the gall to expect me and my fellow group project members to give her credit for work she didn't do when we busted our asses even more to make up for what should have been that 5th person's contribution.

Don't do it. Besides you all already let the professor know what's up, so she is just way to late, and stupid to even think she could make up the work in so little time, or expect others to just go along with her BS. Very disrespectful to you and the others. The sob story is manipulative too, and that would piss me off even more! 

She wasted her time and her money. She will have to make it up all over again like everyone else who did not put in the time and to work make the grade or they were not able to for some unfortunate reason which can happen too, and talk about a missed opportunity and money not well spent. Having to make up a semester due to serious illness or pregnancy complications or an unexpected death in the family that they have to take care of really sucks, and those people couldn't even help it. This idiot just wants a free ride for no other reason than it's a challenge to comfortably do all your school work and take care of a family/job too. It's not impossible, it can just be very hard, and that's called earning it.

I don't think so. Get lost and don't bother me again bitch. That would be my attitude. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)