Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What should I expect?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
We have lived in a stupid small condo for 4 years now and we are beginning the process of putting it up for sale and buying a bigger home. Buuut, my problem is that I'm a little confused about how to start the process. I've never been in the situation of selling, then buying. Our realtor is coming for a visit today because I asked her too. I figured that she could give advice on things we should do to spruce this place up a bit before selling? Ugh, I have no clue.
Any advice from y'all? How did you start the process of putting your home up for sale while in the midst of looking for another home to purchase?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Bump!
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Clean everything and stage it to potential buyers. Also a good tip that my Realtor gave me was to take down family pictures because you want the buyers to picture themselves living in the house and that's difficult to do with personal items lying around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Awww poo :( our walls are covered in family pictures. Lol, everything would be bare if I took all frames away. I have heard that though....

Quoting owl0210: Clean everything and stage it to potential buyers. Also a good tip that my Realtor gave me was to take down family pictures because you want the buyers to picture themselves living in the house and that's difficult to do with personal items lying around.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Have you had it appraised? What's the market like in your area?

Quoting Anonymous: Awww poo :( our walls are covered in family pictures. Lol, everything would be bare if I took all frames away. I have heard that though....

Quoting owl0210: Clean everything and stage it to potential buyers. Also a good tip that my Realtor gave me was to take down family pictures because you want the buyers to picture themselves living in the house and that's difficult to do with personal items lying around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:35 AM
The housing market is pretty good right now. Its actually why we are starting right now. And the whole appraisal thing. We haven't done that. Is it something we should do first? What all does that entail? I've never sold a house before, I'm completely clueless

Quoting owl0210: Have you had it appraised? What's the market like in your area?

Quoting Anonymous: Awww poo :( our walls are covered in family pictures. Lol, everything would be bare if I took all frames away. I have heard that though....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Bump! Just wondering if anyone has any input on what to expect while beginning this process of selling then buying at the same time :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:57 AM

yeah, you probably want to take down the pictures. It might be a good idea to rent a storage space and get put away a lot of your things, including some furniture. The less clutter and furniture makes your place look bigger and cleaner.

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM

We've sold and bought twice. both times I put the house on the market and looked for a new home at the same time. Of course it's impossible to get the timing down perfectly. Both times we went to an extended stay for a little while inbetween. I wasn't willing to loose a sale by putting a contingency in the mix. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Yea, that makes sense! Thanks :)

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah, you probably want to take down the pictures. It might be a good idea to rent a storage space and get put away a lot of your things, including some furniture. The less clutter and furniture makes your place look bigger and cleaner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM
How long were you in a hotel? It was about 3 months after making an offer and actually moving into this condo.....

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

We've sold and bought twice. both times I put the house on the market and looked for a new home at the same time. Of course it's impossible to get the timing down perfectly. Both times we went to an extended stay for a little while inbetween. I wasn't willing to loose a sale by putting a contingency in the mix. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN