Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you pay for your child's college costs, all, some, or none?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM
  • 41 Replies
Just curious? Is it because you have money that you pay and if you don't then you don't pay? How does it work out?
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I will pay as much as I can and then they can take out loans to finance the rest. Hopefully they will receive scholarships too.
jakesmom323
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:30 PM
By the time they go, it will be like 200 k a piece....but we will pay everything we can up front and pay off loans. I will be sending them off into the world with the best step and what they do with it is their decision;) I'll be working just to pay it if I have too.
MsRkg
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM
We are planning to pay 100% of our son's undergrad degree including all associated costs (rent,bills,car,etc) or if he chooses not to go to college and instead decide to open a business/start-up we will fund him for 4-6 years (depending on the business venture). We have saved and planned for all possible routes to be able to invest in our son and help him start his future on the right path.
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM
This. And as long as she's making good grades I'll help her as much as I can.

Quoting owl0210: I will pay as much as I can and then they can take out loans to finance the rest. Hopefully they will receive scholarships too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM

My kids can live at home and we'll pay for food and stuff like that, with no rent/help with bills expected.  BUT, they have to pay for their classes/books.  We will help when and where we can, but it will fall mainly to them.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM
My inlaws gave us money so now my kids have a college fund. We add on to it, and are about to invest it so they'll hopefully have a lot when they get older. I'm not sure it will be enough when they go to college, but they won't have to bury themselves in student loans.
jen2150
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:05 PM
We will help them. It will be a collected effort. You appreciate more when you work for it. They will not be getting loans. They will have insurance policies when they are 18 that they can borrow from interest free. I also will encourage them to learn a trade before college.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM
All.

Or I should say my mom plans on paying all because she has the money. My grandmother paid for mine. Its how my family does it.
Babebaby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM
We have our son a college fund. We will help out all we can. Hopefully he will get scholarships if not student loans then.
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:29 PM

We pay.  We have enough that we can, and we feel it's very important.  All tuition, books, living expenses (we encourage them to go away to college - they all have).  Cell phone, internet, clothes, whatever.

As they get close to graduating, we encourage them to scout out jobs.  Yes, we will help them a bit when they're first starting out - but then they're on their own.  If they choose not to go to college - all funds stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured