Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom's whose husbands travel, come in please!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

DH travels for about 60% of his job. However the last year it dropped down to about 30% and he wasn't gone as much. Well this month he's gone for over 3 weeks, not quite a month. I'm used to him being here and this is night #2 that I can't sleep. It's storming here, something the forecast didn't call for so it's unexpected and for some reason the thunder sounds weird. Every little bump and noise makes me jump. Normally I'm not that easily freaked out but I just miss him and miss feeling safe. I have a little dog that thinks she's a damn rott or something, her bark sounds like she's a big dog and she WILL bite you if she feels threatened. I want a gun but Dh says no :(

I do have cop friends who drive around by the house at night occasionally, too, nightly when DH is gone but I haven't seen them tonight. 

I know I'm going to be exhausted in the morning but I can't sleep. Anyone else feel uneasy when their husbands are gone and how do you ease the feeling?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:44 AM
I get like that. I turn on some white noise and read when I can't sleep. I also leave all the doors open.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:46 AM
My husband could not be my husband if he told me I couldn't have a gun. That's just breaking house rules man. Lol

Turn on the tv after you do a window and door check. The background noise will help be a distraction.
taylamill
by Tayla on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:47 AM
I used to be like that. Try reading a book, turn on a fan for a little noise or lay back and watch a movie.
I would cry myself to sleep for the first year. Now it's year four and I enjoy him gone and him home. Well besides him hogging the bed lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Our power bill gets so jacked up. When he's here I have to have lights off to sleep (and I have tired that when he's gone but NOPE) but when he's gone all the lights in the rooms in my direct sight are on at all times during the night.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom: I get like that. I turn on some white noise and read when I can't sleep. I also leave all the doors open.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:48 AM

During the day I like that he's gone but at night it's just grr...I'm crying right now. I tried doing yoga but I can't focus and be relaxed enough.

Quoting taylamill: I used to be like that. Try reading a book, turn on a fan for a little noise or lay back and watch a movie.
I would cry myself to sleep for the first year. Now it's year four and I enjoy him gone and him home. Well besides him hogging the bed lol.

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM
This. Also, part of my "fear" is not being able to get to my kids if someome was in the house, so if im really really creeped out I'll bring them in my room. I sleep better then.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom: I get like that. I turn on some white noise and read when I can't sleep. I also leave all the doors open.
heydooney
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:52 AM
Lights on, triple checking the doors, a goodnight text, soft music on Pandora. Rub one out if you need to, it'll relax you ;)

Oh and I sleep with a hammer next to the bed. And I'm very good at blaming every little noise on the cats.
milfanyway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:53 AM
When hubby was in the army and gone alot I would put on Netflix and watch shows to fall asleep. It helped to do a nightly check of doors and windows, look in on kiddos, then climb into bed with my laptop. It helped fill that creepy quiet that a house gets when you're alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:56 AM

My kids are ALWAYS in bed with me when he's gone.

Quoting usmcwifey11: This. Also, part of my "fear" is not being able to get to my kids if someome was in the house, so if im really really creeped out I'll bring them in my room. I sleep better then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:06 AM
Don't leave the same lights on very single night. Robbers look for that. Makes them think it's a timer. One night leave a hallway light on. And so fourth.

Quoting Anonymous:

Our power bill gets so jacked up. When he's here I have to have lights off to sleep (and I have tired that when he's gone but NOPE) but when he's gone all the lights in the rooms in my direct sight are on at all times during the night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)