Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Beef With WIC

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM
  • 131 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just to clarify.... Yes, I'm on WIC. No, I am not proud of it. And I most certainly do not feel entitled to it. I am very thankful for the help I get, but there's a few things that bother me with the program.

1. For starters, nothing is vertified. When I signed up I showed up with every legal document I had. All they wanted was my son's immunization record and his 'birth certificate'. Not his actual birth certificate, just a memento from the hospital.
  2. The cashiers don't check, either. Cashiers are supposed to compare my signature on the check to the one on the WIC envelope. Most just glance at the envelope, not the signed part.
  3. WIC makes me spend more, and they pay for it. One of the many examples is cheese. Every month I get two pounds of cheese at once. My store sells 1lb and 2lb packs. Buying the 2lb is almost a dollar cheaper, but I'm only allowed to get 1lb packs.
  4. They are not flexible. Every month I get $66 worth of baby jar food, which my son hates. I've asked multiple times if I can trade that for $10 extra in fresh food, and they always say no. And I know I'll get bashed for this, but out of spite I spend all the money, and donate the jars to an orphanage in Mexico. Which brings me to my last point 
  5. Some of the other women I've seen there don't deserve the help. I borrow my mom's 2006 minivan to pick up checks and go grocery shopping. Every single time I park, I have handsdown the worst car there. I don't get how someone can show up in a 2013 SUV and claim they don't have money for food. If it weren't for my parents, I wouldn't be able to get WIC. Their office is an hour+ walk from my house in nice weather, and right now there are several feet of snow outside. I would not expose my son to below freezing temps for two hours to get WIC, and I'm sure there are women in my town who are too poor to get WIC. 

Update

I don't think people understood what I meant. I am VERY grateful for the help they give me. I take all the checks, but only use them at the very end of the month IF I need them. However, I have been warned that if I keep doing this they will take away all of my checks, so I am forced to use some.

It is illegal to trade or sell WIC products. I can give them to someone else. To the person who pointed out shipping costs, my brother goes to Mexico every 1-2 months for dentist appointments. I don't pay a dime.

As for the car thing, I guess most of you are right. It is none of my business. The reason I said that was because the last time I picked up checks I had to wait a while, and talked to two women there. Both were suprised and confused that I was trying to get off WIC. One woman, who I've seen a few times I've kept my distance from. I've heard of her through the grapevine, and I think her husband is a big time (as far as local goes) drug dealer. And all three had nice cars, two SUVs. But I still shouldn't judge everyone based off three.

Basically, to sum it all up, it bothers me that WIC doesn't manage their money as well as they could. A few saved cents from each WIC account could quickly add up to more WIC accounts, and they could help more women in need.

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM

When I was on WIC they changed over to cards instead of checks.  And when I first applied I had to verify my income.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
You're last statement was unnecessary, youre in no position to judge hun.
Gorilla_Mama
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

The car thing is a little hypocritical. You borrowed a vehicle, they may have too, and they can't control what their family drives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I had the same beef with the jarred baby food. I would rather get all that money in fresh produce so I could make my own but they said no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Then stop getting free stuff.
UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Stop using it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
"The other women I've seen there don't deserve the help."

And you do?
Mtdewwid
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM
8 moms liked this
#1 When your child is first born and added of course they ask for the crib card. There is no other real proof beside that and baby. And you don't have to show immunization.records if you don't have it.
#2 Here they just check ID numbers against that on the check.
#3 WIC doesn't make you spend more if they pay for it. Because THEY pay for it.
#4 It is illegal to give WIC food away, give checks away or use it in any other way than for food for your family.
#5 You don't deserve WIC if you can give the food away out of spite.
AuntieM
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Maybe their parents just have better cars than yours.

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

The car thing is a little hypocritical. You borrowed a vehicle, they may have too, and they can't control what their family drives.

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never dealt with them but I do know a girl who said they made her take formula ( she BF) and she made her own baby food but they told her if she didn't take the jarred food they would disqualify her.  She would take it and then donate it to the county women's shelter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)