Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do your kids do chores?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:31 AM
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm wondering do your kids do chores? Do they get an allowance for doing them or just because? My 15yr old has 2 chores 3 if u count keeping his room clean... Which are take trash out daily and empty dishwasher daily.... He receives $20 every two weeks plus we pay his cell phone bill.... And also do your kids do chores while friends are over? I will tell you now since so many people made such a big deal in a previous post about this ... Yes I will often ask my son to do his chores when he has friends over... I don't care that he has friends over his chores take 10-15 mins tops and there is basically never a time when a friend hasn't came over plus responsibility don't stop just because he has friends over ... Anyway do u punish ur kids for not doing chores? I do not punish him be cause if he don't do his chores he punishes himself he just won't get an allowance or his phone data will be blocked ... So he just does it to himself because while hubby and spoil our kids we also don't believe in just giving them an allowance without them doing something to earn it :)
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:33 AM

my dd's do chores and get no allowance, 1 dd gets whatever she needs paid for ( dances & such), 1 dd pays to live here. But they both do their chores.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Yes. She would get money if I didnt have to remind her to do it. She cant do anything fun until its done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Yes mine have chores but do not get an allowane.  To earn extra money they help DH and I do things that are outside their normal part of helping the family. My kdis are 9 and 5.  Both kids have to keep their rooms clean, all toys picked up over the house, clear the table, put dirty and clean clothes in the proper place.  The 9 year old also takes care of the family dog and helps sweep.  The 5 year old is starting to add dry dusting things at her height.  They will both get a small increase in chores soon when we move.  DS has been earning money by helping DH redo our new house.  The kids do not usualy have friends over at this point, so no I would make sure all chores are done before the friend came to play. 

moniagee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Yes. All 5 of mine do chores. We keep a chore chart, so it varies from week to week. And if the 2 little ones, ages 5 and 7, have a big chore like doing the dishes, either me or dh do it with their "help". We wash the dishes and they put it in the dish rack. The 2 little ones gets $3 a week for chores. My 10 year old gets $5 a week. And my 2 teenagers, 13 and 14, gets $10 a week, plus we pay their cell phones. On Saturday, I do a deep thourough cleaning. If my teenagers don't have any activities that day, they help me and get an addition $5. By the end of the week, I'm broke, I'm joking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrspeterrabbit
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Yes they do chores and have since they were 3-5 yrs old
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Yes, they do.  No, I do not give them an allowance.

sburger315
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:42 AM

My kids are only 1 & 2 but I make them pick up the playroom with me. 

julie515
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Yes and yes.
luvmygirls59
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Mine is 3, all she does right now is pick up her toys and "help" with dishes.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:45 AM
My DS is 6 and I wouldn't say he has "chores". He is expected to help out when asked and makes his bed everyday. We don't have a chore chart though.

We "give" DS $200/week and take him to the back so he can deposit the money into his college fund. We want him to get in the habit of saving so it's a highlight every Saturday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)