Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sex offender registry

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I came across a local article about a man on the sex offender registry charged with sexually assaulting three teens in his Karate school. According to the article, he was within the law to open the business in his home and had already served time. Although not allowed near schools or daycare centers, and some organizations prohibit sex offenders (boy scouts for example), they say it is up to the parent to check the sex offender registry to make sure coaches, karate teachers, dance instructors, or anyone else in contact with your child. So my question is, do you run people's names through the registry?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3690inspire
by Angel on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Interesting! Great idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I take it you don't? Or you do now I should say? My mom checked the SO registry when my bros were spending the night at this friend of the family's house. He was convicted last year and is now in jail for something of the nature (not to my brothers) and we find out the registry didn't have his info because it was from 1989. 

Quoting 3690inspire: Interesting! Great idea.

3690inspire
by Angel on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Yes, I def will now! Thanks for sharing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I take it you don't? Or you do now I should say? My mom checked the SO registry when my bros were spending the night at this friend of the family's house. He was convicted last year and is now in jail for something of the nature (not to my brothers) and we find out the registry didn't have his info because it was from 1989. 

Quoting 3690inspire: Interesting! Great idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM
I definitely check ours. It has pictures and crime details. When we were buying a home we actually rejected one place because there was a sex offender across the street.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I like that it tells you what the crime was. So you know it's not a romeo crime or whatever it's called. Although I'm not able to see the details of the person we knew that got convicted. I'm thinking of going to that courthouse and paying the ten bucks to see what's in the record. 

Quoting Anonymous: I definitely check ours. It has pictures and crime details. When we were buying a home we actually rejected one place because there was a sex offender across the street.

Mom2Boys9501
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Yes I do plus I don't just drop my kids off and leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM
The registry isnt accurate. I know of somebody that was convicted in the early 90's of molesting 23 boys and girls. He was 15 at the time. He was in jail until 21 and registers as predatory because if his high likelihood to re-offend. You can't find him on a single list...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Yup. A guy my brothers used to stay the night with didn't show up on the registry because it was from '89. He's in jail now for a looong time. I'm not sure of the details of why, just the crime.

Quoting Anonymous: The registry isnt accurate. I know of somebody that was convicted in the early 90's of molesting 23 boys and girls. He was 15 at the time. He was in jail until 21 and registers as predatory because if his high likelihood to re-offend. You can't find him on a single list...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Definitely have to trust your instincts as well. 

Quoting Mom2Boys9501: Yes I do plus I don't just drop my kids off and leave.

charleyangel317
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I don't run names but I do check the registry for offenders in my area frequently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)