Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Food Stamps benefit everyone

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 235 Replies
13 moms liked this

Everyone is always bitching about people who receive food stamps and how they spend them and how lazy they are and blah blah blah. It's annoying. Food stamps are good for our economy, and that benefits everyone living in it, not just the recipients of the food stamps. They have a positive impact on small businesses, creating jobs and boosting sales. When I hear people say things like "oh, you're welcome" when trying to be a smart ass to someone who has food stamps, it just makes me realize how ignorant people really are. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM

BUMP!

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM

ehh boy.

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM
18 moms liked this
I can think of worse things the government is doing besides providing food for people
Liastele
by Lauren on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM
5 moms liked this

Oh, well, since you posted a picture to back your claim, we all believe you now.

Wouldn't a federal subsidy on all healthy food that helped everyone afford healthy food be a true benefit to everyone? 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
7 moms liked this

It has the lowest fraud rate because there is no agency searching fraud out. you cant believe everything you read. especially some random meme. Find real stats and post them. 

I personally am not against food stamps. If you are hungry and broke you should be able to get food. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Explain #3

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM
I get food stamps. Even with them I still buy around $200 in food a month at the grocery store.
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM

This is all Wikipedia info so take it with a grain of salt, but it seems to back OP's position:

During the recession of 2008, SNAP participation hit an all-time high. Arguing in support for SNAP, the Food Research and Action Center claims that “putting more resources quickly into the hands of the people most likely to turn around and spend it can both boost the economy and cushion the hardships on vulnerable people who face a constant struggle against hunger.”[21] Researchers have found that every $1 that is spent from SNAP, the economy benefits by $1.73 [22][23] The Congressional Budget Office also rated an increase in SNAP benefits as one of the two most cost-effective of all spending and tax options it examined for boosting growth and jobs in a weak economy.[23]

According to the United States Department of Agriculture (based on a study of data gathered in Fiscal Year 2010), statistics for the food stamp program are as follows:[27]

• 49% of all participant households have children (17 or younger), and 55% of those are single-parent households.
  • 15% of all participant households have elderly (age 60 or over) members.
  • 20% of all participant households have non-elderly disabled members.
  • The average gross monthly income per food stamp household is $731; The average net income is $336.
  • 37% of participants are White, 22% are African-American, 10% are Hispanic, 2% are Asian, 4% are Native American, and 19% are of unknown race or ethnicity.[27]

In 2011, Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack gave a statement regarding SNAP benefits: "Every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity."[36] Vilsack's estimate was based on a 2002 George W. Bush-era USDA study which found that "ultimately, the additional $5 billion of FSP (Food Stamp Program) expenditures triggered an increase in total economic activity (production, sales, and value of shipments) of $9.2 billion and an increase in jobs of 82,100," or $1.84 stimulus for every dollar spent.[37]

A 2013 report by the USDA gave another estimate in the middle of Zandi's and Vilsack's estimates, finding that "an increase of $1 billion in SNAP expenditures is estimated to increase economic activity (GDP) by $1.79 billion." The same report also estimated that the "preferred jobs impact … are the 8,900 full-time equivalent jobs plus self-employed or the 9,800 full-time and part-time jobs plus self-employed from $1 billion of SNAP benefits.[38]

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Quoting brettsmomma:

It has the lowest fraud rate because there is no agency searching fraud out. you cant believe everything you read. especially some random meme. Find real stats and post them. 

I personally am not against food stamps. If you are hungry and broke you should be able to get food. 

This is a nice sum-up of everything. I have done previous research on this same information, so if you want more info I will be happy to provide. 

Here is one example of the economic efficiency of the program and it's performance during the recession:

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3239

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM
11 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN