Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I help DD to understand?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
We live in a rural area and she likes to walk to her best friends house a few blocks away. I recently discovered that a sex offender (a real one, his victim was a 3 year old) lives on the girl's block. DD doesn't seem to quite understand the importance of the situation and still wants to walk over there. She's normally a very bright child. How do I help her to understand?

She just turned 13, Btw.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmybug
by Amanda on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM
You should have a sit down talk with her about it. I had to do the same with my 9 yr old. That these people are dangerous and they need to take certain precautions to keep away from them.
TrueTrophyWife
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM

You are the mom.  You tell her it is NOT happening.  Who cares if she "gets it." 

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM
5 moms liked this

I think you are being a little over protective. He's on the registry, which means he isnt likely to take chances, and if he reoffends it will likely be with a friend or family member's child... someone who "trusts" him...

A) she's 13, it isnt his MO

B) she's old enough not to fall for "I lost my puppy" routines

C) make her call you when she gets to her friend's house and before she leaves every time.

Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM

There are registered sex offenders everywhere, unfortunately.

I would just ensure she understands that he is there, that she needs to be aware of her surroundings and she shouldn't be alone.

Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable with it, you're her mom, tell her she's no longer allowed to go there an explain why. She doesn't need to like it. Sometimes you have to be "mean" to keep your kid safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Sit down and explain to her what a sex offender is and let her know what could happen to her. She could be walking over there one day and that sick man could be outside and snatch her up before she has the time to even think. My kid wouldn't be walking alone anywhere near that street.
adulation
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd give her some mace and remind her to always be aware of her surroundings..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I would drive her if she wanted to go over there and tell her to call when she is ready to come home.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM
I'd just tell her no, and leave it at that. If you have already explained the seriousness of the situation, there isn't much more you can do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:28 AM
"Hey guys this sex offender lives over on this street, since he's registered and isn't likely to "take the chance" that he OBVIOUSLY took before, lets let all our kids go play by his house all alone!" yeah, that'll go well..

Quoting anyotherday:

I think you are being a little over protective. He's on the registry, which means he isnt likely to take chances, and if he reoffends it will likely be with a friend or family member's child... someone who "trusts" him...

C) make her call you when she gets to her friend's house and before she leaves every time.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM

way to take what I said out of context. How likely is it, that the pervert who likes 3 year olds, is going to risk coming out of his house to grab a 13 year old who can fight back and cause a scene.... Really? Not only is he honestly probably not interested in her becasue she is too old, but if he reoffends he isnt going to make a spectacle out of it.

Quoting Anonymous: "Hey guys this sex offender lives over on this street, since he's registered and isn't likely to "take the chance" that he OBVIOUSLY took before, lets let all our kids go play by his house all alone!" yeah, that'll go well..

Quoting anyotherday:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)