Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Come give me your thoughts on this - Gay discrimination *longish*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

I work for a large retail corporation. 

Yesterday I was up there shopping and ran into a co-worker of mine. This co-worker after raising several kids (all adults now) has "come out" and is in a relationship with another woman. 

Co-worker's daugher also works there as a cashier and is VERY anti gay

Apparently my co-worker was up there shopping (off the clock) with her girlfriend and girlfriend's son and went through her daughter's line.

The next time my co-worker clocked in to work she was pulled into the office by the manager over the cashiers and her manager as well. She is then told her daughter requested that she not be allowed to go through her line with her girlfriend anymore because it makes her uncomfortable

I think that is complete bullshit. I don't care if it's a family issue, it's still an associate discriminating against someone and that's just no ok at all. If she doesn't like her mom's lifestyle.. fine.. BUT I believe the company (or at least the managers) is supporting discrimination by doing this. I don't believe the cashier has any right to say who can and can not go through her line (unless of course she has a restraining order on them)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elzingah36
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Personally,I'd get a lawyer. That is flat out discrimination.
scarletmeshell
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I find it odd the company didn't just tell her to keep her opinions to herself. It doesn't sound like the daughter would have a problem with any gay couple, just her mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM
That's what other people are telling her since it happened on company time

Quoting elzingah36: Personally,I'd get a lawyer. That is flat out discrimination.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I agree that it's bullshit.  They need to tell that cashier to STFU and keep family drama out of the workplace.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM

that could get ugly, sexual orientation is a protected class and that company is setting themself up for a lawsuit

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM

In many states homesexuality is not a protected class.

Quoting elzingah36: Personally,I'd get a lawyer. That is flat out discrimination.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM

No, actually it's not in many states.  It should be, but it's not.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

that could get ugly, sexual orientation is a protected class and that company is setting themself up for a lawsuit

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM
My husband says no one would do anything because its a family issue. I see it as an associate discriminating against a customer. Her mom was off the clock and by rights a customer. I think the managers are trying to keep the peace.. but not in a correct way

Quoting scarletmeshell:

I find it odd the company didn't just tell her to keep her opinions to herself. It doesn't sound like the daughter would have a problem with any gay couple, just her mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Yeah, company should really stay out of family drama unless theres a legal implication.
scarletmeshell
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

OP if I was you I would simply stay out of it. If I was the mom I would no longer shop there. If this family drama continues someone is going to get fired.

Quoting Anonymous: My husband says no one would do anything because its a family issue. I see it as an associate discriminating against a customer. Her mom was off the clock and by rights a customer. I think the managers are trying to keep the peace.. but not in a correct way

Quoting scarletmeshell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured