Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those who suffer from migraines.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been dealing with them since I was a teen but back then I took Midrin as an abortive medication and used Topomax as a preventative. Now they have discontinued Midrin and ever since I had children the Topomax has no longer been working as well.In fact I have gone from an average of one major migraine every 6 months to having one every 2-3 months and that just won't do.

So I am seeing my doctor on Thursday to see what our next course of action will be. I no longer know what kinds of medications are used so I was curious if YOU have them what do you take? How often do you have to deal with migraines while taking the medication you are using? Is it terribly expensive?

Thanks ladies

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kdjdod081013
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM
No idea, I get 2-4 migraines a week, and I quit my meds when I got pregnant with the youngest. I was on Topamax, Treximet, and Ativan plus some more.
mygardenia
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM

The green Excedrin works awesome for me. You know I recently just found out that migraines are actually a type of brain disorder? Interesting stuff. Check it out if you haven't already. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mygardenia:

The green Excedrin works awesome for me. You know I recently just found out that migraines are actually a type of brain disorder? Interesting stuff. Check it out if you haven't already. 

I wish an OTC worked for me. It never did and actually it just made me feel worse because I knew I had taken something but it wasn't helping me.

Yes my doctor already told me about this she said they are working on classifying it as a disease rather than just a condition.

CountYouTwice
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I take Fioricet, it helps without knocking me out.

CountYouTwice
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Also my pharmacists suggested the supplement Butterbur as a preventative.

strongforthem
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Injectable Imitrex, pill form imitrex, pill form maxalt.
strongforthem
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Explain what Fioricet does, please.

Quoting CountYouTwice:

I take Fioricet, it helps without knocking me out.

bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I take Topamax, Propranolol, magnesium, vitamin B2 and B12. I avoid dairy and nitrates like The Plague. I also do acupuncture if I am having one longer than 2 days or having them more frequently. My insurance covers it. I could get Botox as well but have chosen not to.

I used to have about 10-15 migraines a month at my worse. I had no life for 2-3 months. Now I have 1-3 a month. It is SO much better. I am hoping to wean off all meds in a year.

I have had a lot allergies to medications I have tried. So right now what I have works. I have an allergic or sever adverse side effect with every rescue med I have tried. My neurologist isn't comfortable trying more. So I have Norco and Tramadol for pain relief and take Benadryl to force sleep. It is the best I have.

Edited to correct typos.

berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM
I had them four to five times a week since my teen years. I'm now 29. I get Botox now to help stop then because I have tried everything and my insurance knows that and as a last resort I'm on Botox. I go every ten to twelve weeks for the injections.
Other than Botox I take topiramate (generic for topamax) and gabapentin. When I get my migraines (the two I listed are preventitives) I take gabapentin topiramate and two others, I will go look and let you know...
bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Do you ever have side effects?

Imitrex gave me HORRIBLE crippling back pain. I would have what felt like surges if fire shoot through my spine and down my legs.

I am allergic to Maxalt.

Quoting strongforthem: Injectable Imitrex, pill form imitrex, pill form maxalt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured