Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The sneaky thing I do behind my sister's back when I babysit for her...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies
1 mom liked this

I babysit my nephew, he is just over a year.  My sister sends his lunch and she cuts it up large.  She told me to leave it that way because the doctor said he should be eating big pieces by now.

Well, I cut them up smaller.

Everytime he eats the big pieces, he gags and chokes on them and I am afraid something bad will happen.  He vomited 2x and after the last time I decided to go behind her back and cut his food up small.

I did try and tell her that I didn't think he could handle the bigger pieces yet, because he was choking on them.  She told me her doctor said a lot of people don't cut up food for babies at all (which I don't believe) and that a lot of people no longer use baby food.  Well... idk about that.  She also told me that her doctor said he should be transitioning to fully solid foods, without cutting up.  

idk...  It's her kid.  But while he is in my care, if I feel something is unsafe, I will make it safe.  And I don't tell her just to keep the peace.  No harm done right?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM
I probably would do the same thing
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I have a 13 month old and the LAST thing I want to do is make her choke on her food.  She's on table food but small enough pieces that she won't asphyxiate on it.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd be cutting up the food smaller if you're seeing him choke.
Your sister is an idiot.
AuntieM
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd tell her her doctor is a quack. My grandkids are three and almost four and we still cut up their food small. Not tiny but small.
two4one
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Yeah, I don't think at a year old they should be eating big pieces either. However, if that is what your sister asks you to do, you should follow her orders. Just make sure you sit with him while he eats.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM

he eats table food, he LOVES avacado, it's his favorite.  I cut each pieces about the size of my thumbnail.  

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

I have a 13 month old and the LAST thing I want to do is make her choke on her food.  She's on table food but small enough pieces that she won't asphyxiate on it.

finnbar
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Troll.
No DR would say any of that
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that's crazy. My kids are 6&5 and I still cut their food up.
Lilith.23
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM
:/ that's some coo coo crazy bull.
Does she expect him to pick it up, cut it himself and eat????
Obviously if he chokes on it he is not ready for the big pieces.
Smdh.
Didn't her doctor told her not EVERY one year old is the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I always sit with him regardless at meal times, and he chokes on them.  I won't continue to do something that is potentially fatal.  What would happen if he chokes and doesn't puke it up?

Quoting two4one:

Yeah, I don't think at a year old they should be eating big pieces either. However, if that is what your sister asks you to do, you should follow her orders. Just make sure you sit with him while he eats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)