Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gay Rights vs Religious Freedom QUESTION

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies
OK let me first define Religious Freedom.
countries.

Freedom of religion or Freedom of belief is a principle that supports THE FREEDOM OF AN INDIVIDUAL OR COMMUNITY, in PUBLIC or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, PRACTICE, worship, and observance; the concept is generally recognized also to include the freedom to change religion or not to follow any religion.[1] The freedom to leave or discontinue membership in a religion or religious group —in religious terms called "apostasy" — is also a fundamental part of religious freedom, covered by Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.[2]

Freedom of religion is considered by many people and nations to be a FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT.[3][4] 
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
I emphasized the key words there for you.
So can someone please answer me this? Why is my pastor about to sit in jail for not wedding a man and his significant other? I mean if it's his human right to have religious freedom which may I add INCLUDES the right to practice your religion in PUBLIC or PRIVATE.
Why should he have to give up his human rights to accommodate others? They are not accommodating him.
Now I am not against same sex marriage, but I am against tyranny and the government forcing someone to do something against their will so they aren't jailed and HEAVILY fined is tyranny.

So I was just curious as to how you all feel about this? What are your personal views?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Bump
TripleBsMommy
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:06 PM
I don't think it's right that your pastor is suffering for this.
Lilfootmommy
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this
What is he being charged with?
MommyChance
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:09 PM
I wouldn't want a pastor who doesn't believe in my marriage to marry me anyway. As a single unwed mom, I wouldn't force myself into a congregation that wouldn't accept me, no matter how shitty I thought it was.
I'm not gay, so I can't say exactly how I would react. However, I cant imagine myself forcing my lifestyle on someone.
mommawhite08
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Crazieness!  I'll never understand why someone would want to be married by someone who doesn't even like them.....  

There was a time when clergy thought it was in there religious right to refuse to marry people because they were black.......  I don't like that people are discriminated against because of who they love, but I'm not sure there should be legislation against it.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Separation of church and state? So you don't believe in it but the law says it's true.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:12 PM
You just contradicted yourself.

Quoting mommawhite08:

Crazieness!  I'll never understand why someone would want to be married by someone who doesn't even like them.....  

There was a time when clergy thought it was in there religious right to refuse to marry people because they were black.......  I don't like that people are discriminated against because of who they love, but I'm not sure there should be legislation against it.....

Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think any church should have to perform gay marriage ceremonies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
But they do. It's sad to me because couples are forcing it on ministers/preachers/pastors who they KNOW do not want to do it, just because they legally can.

Quoting Goodbye.BlueSky:

I don't think any church should have to perform gay marriage ceremonies.

mommawhite08
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous: You just contradicted yourself.

Quoting mommawhite08:

How?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)