Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I wish I could afford it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I work 40 hours a week to have insurance on my daughter and I. The new plan we have we have to pay $600.00 dollars worth of medical bills before the insurance will pay 80%. I'm at the point that I feel like I need someone to talk to. Maybe get some anxiety depression meds? I've been on them before. I not only can't afford 600 dollars to talk to someone I also can't afford the 20.00 copay every week or every two weeks as often as they would want me to come. What do you do when your in a situation like this. I don't want to hurt myself or anything like that I just feel like I'm lost and I'm getting more depressed each day.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:57 AM
So go once, explain that you may not be able to do therapy often and they will likely prescribe an antidepressant. You can do a few follow up appointments to be sure it is the right fit for you. You dont have to see a therapist weekly to be given an antidepressant, your family doctor could even prescribe it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabellelee
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:00 AM
It shouldn't cost that much to talk to someone the first time, contact your insurance to find someone they are contracted with. You will have to pay for the first visits, but only ate the rates they have agreed to accept from your insurance company. Just be upfront with the provider about what you can afford, and see if they are willing to see you with a frequency that won't bankrupt you.

You might also look into community healthcare resources that may provide treatment on a sliding scale.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:01 AM
But I want to talk to someone.

Quoting thenameshailie: So go once, explain that you may not be able to do therapy often and they will likely prescribe an antidepressant. You can do a few follow up appointments to be sure it is the right fit for you. You dont have to see a therapist weekly to be given an antidepressant, your family doctor could even prescribe it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:02 AM
It doesn't cost 600 the first time but I have to pay all doctor visits up to 600 dollars before they pay so even if the total is 150.00 I don't have an extra 150.00 laying around plus have to pay for the medication etc.

Quoting annabellelee: It shouldn't cost that much to talk to someone the first time, contact your insurance to find someone they are contracted with. You will have to pay for the first visits, but only ate the rates they have agreed to accept from your insurance company. Just be upfront with the provider about what you can afford, and see if they are willing to see you with a frequency that won't bankrupt you.

You might also look into community healthcare resources that may provide treatment on a sliding scale.
OHIOmommy330
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Call a friend, that's shit is free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:06 AM

600 to talk to someone? Gosh my therapist charges 50 bucks for 45 mins and 100 for every half hour over the 45 mins. 125 for emergencies or weekends. But my insurance covered her because she was referred by my regular dr. Might want to look into getting a refer 

TexasMama76
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Sliding scale or nonprofit mental health clinics in your area. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

This.  I think therapy is such bullshit.   Not to sound all Tom Cruise on you but getting some exercise can really help with depression.   Go for a run or a long walk.    Also, try taking supplements 5HTP

Quoting OHIOmommy330:

Call a friend, that's shit is free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Yeah the system is screwed. Only wealthy people can afford therapy. I'm sorry. Hopefully the meds will help. A friend isn't even nearly as good as a therapist but maybe if you have a good one you could ask to talk to them a little. Just don't overwhelm them or they will probably stop listening.  Sorry :(

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Look around - there are places that either do it for free or have a sliding scale.  There also may be group sessions available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)