Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

your thoughts on dog biting/scratching child

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM
  • 265 Replies
A lady I know is looking for a home for her dog of 8 years. She said her dog was giving her 2 yo daughter " warning" growls...and then must have nipped or swatted her daughter because the little girls lip was scratched.
I only have cats...so the maybe the rules are different. If my cats warn my child and either i don't step in...or the child doesnt back off then the cat would swipe at them. I feel like its my job to keep my kids in line around pets. Obviously dogs can do a lot more damage but why wouldnt you intervene if the dog was obviously distressed?? I feel bad for the dog.
What is your rule? Would you get rid of the dog or teach the child?(or intervene etc)

Edit They have decided to consult a trainer first:)
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
10 moms liked this

No. I would not have any dog that would growl and scratch/bite my kids. The pets should be well integrated into the family at 8 years old and not be acting like that.

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
8 moms liked this

my dog has scratched my son when they are playing. We do have the rule that if he bites out of anger he is gone. But each incident needs to be looked at and the cause should be found. But I dont hold it against someone who does end up rehoming an animal bc of a bite. I spent the time to teach my son about how to be with our dog and how to read our dogs moods. 

katydid150
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

My rule is if the child was at fault, the pet stays. If it was unprovoked aggression, then the pet is removed from the home or euthanized. My DS has been taught from the beginning how to behave with animals and is never left unsupervised with them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd kick the dog out. My kids before any animal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Dogws and cats cannot be compared they are different animals with different mentalities,behaviours and reactions.

If a dog behaved that way in my house towards a young child, it'd be gone.  My kids' safety comes before a dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I have a cat that hisses at my 3 year old sometimes.  When she does she has to leave the room and I make my son stay away from her.  It's not ok for her to hiss or scratch him.  He's not really doing anything wrong.  He runs past her and she gets scared so I don't really get onto him, but I tell him to be more careful bc he scares her.  If I had a dog I'd treat it the same way but I'd be more watchful bc dogs can hurt worse than a cat can.  

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM
That was my thought too. This incident was a parent fail . I have two cats that will never swat at my kids and one that lets you know to back off lol but I don't have dogs. So I wasnt sure

Quoting katydid150:

My rule is if the child was at fault, the pet stays. If it was unprovoked aggression, then the pet is removed from the home or euthanized. My DS has been taught from the beginning how to behave with animals and is never left unsupervised with them. 

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I'd like to think I would be more cautious with a pet in the house if I had younger kids.

I mean sure, the dog is part of the family and you probably trust that it won't harm your precious baby/toddler (whatever) but you can never be so certain.

These people on YT letting their younger children crawl all over their dogs & cats like it's cute kind of irks me. The only way animals know how to show that they are irritated is by reacting or like you said, sending out warnings. They can't TELL you to fuck off.

In most cases I feel bad for the pets though. I feel that there was probably a lack of supervision.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Even if the child was hurting the dog or something?

Quoting Anonymous:

Dogws and cats cannot be compared they are different animals with different mentalities,behaviours and reactions.

If a dog behaved that way in my house towards a young child, it'd be gone.  My kids' safety comes before a dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN