Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home-made/DIY laundry detergent v. Tide or Gain

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

Question.

Is there anyone here who is not dirt poor, who makes and uses their DIY laundry detergent and likes it?  I'm looking for opinions of people who can compare this stuff to the better detergents.

I can very well afford Tide, Gain, etc., but I'm kind of cheap by nature.  Who wouldn't rather add a couple of bucks to the 529 or 401K rather than spending money on laundry?  My thing is that I like laundry to smell good.  I know you can add essential oils to this concoction and I'm wondering if it has the same lasting aroma that Gain or Tide with Febreeze does?  And does it really clean your clothes and keep them sparkling white like the more expensive alternatives do?

I hate to waste my time and $$$ on a bunch of laundry detergent that I can't wait to get rid of. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christen392
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Bump, I'm sure lots of people make it that can afford to buy. Myself am Just to lazy and like my clothing to smell like apple mango tango lol so here is a bump ;)
redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I make all my own soaps, cleaners, lotions and stuff and I use gain with a booster. I've made laundry soap but was not happy with any of the recipes I tried.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We aren't dirt poor.  I do make my own laundry detergent.  I LOVE it!  

I use 12 ounces of liquid Dr. Bronner's Almond Castile soap, 1 cup of washing soda, 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of epsom salts, 1 or 2 tbsp of vegetable glycerin, and 2 cups of water to start with.  I heat it to almost boiling.  Then put it in a two gallon container, add hot water while stirring.  Leave it open for 24 hours to set, put the top back on, shake it up, and then pour some into a smaller container.  I shake it up before I use it every time.  

It's the BEST recipe I've done.  And I've tried a ton.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I'm in the same boat! I love all the fun, fragrances which is why I haven't done it before.  I just ran across a blog post that made it look very enticing and I want to try it but don't want to waste my time or money.  I figure I can still use the yummy fabric softener as long as my clothes are truly clean. 

Decisions, decisions, lol.

Quoting christen392: Bump, I'm sure lots of people make it that can afford to buy. Myself am Just to lazy and like my clothing to smell like apple mango tango lol so here is a bump ;)

PumpkinSpice8
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM
(We are not close to poor.) I made laundry detergent but it slowly made our clothes dingy. I would never do it again. I use Tide now and our clothes stay colorful!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM

OMG what a pain in the ass. Who has time for all of that?  This is what i think when I consider making my own detergent.

Quoting Anonymous:

I use 12 ounces of liquid Dr. Bronner's Almond Castile soap, 1 cup of washing soda, 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of epsom salts, 1 or 2 tbsp of vegetable glycerin, and 2 cups of water to start with.  I heat it to almost boiling.  Then put it in a two gallon container, add hot water while stirring.  Leave it open for 24 hours to set, put the top back on, shake it up, and then pour some into a smaller container.  I shake it up before I use it every time.  

polkaspots
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:26 PM
I make my own, but before then I used tide coldwater. I don't like my clothes to have a scent, so I'm not sure how to go about adding them. I use downy on my fleece blankets but vinegar for everything else.
I grate two bars of laundry soap, measure out the washing soda and borax and leave it in a bucket. I use an old scoop from when I used biokleen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Thank you.  THat's very interesting.  The recipe I saw was for a powdered detergent, but a liquid sounds even better.  Does this smell good or like almonds?  (Just a guess from the name of the first ingredient)

Thank you again.

Quoting Anonymous:

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM
I've been making my own laundry soap for over a year now. I use a oretty basic recipe. I really like the homemade stuff.
Tide was just sooo effing expensive!
Of you have an HE washer you'll need to make sure the recipe you make is compatible with it.

The homemade soap does just fine with removing stains (I still pretreat) and leaves a nice smell.
The only thing I had to get used to was it not making bubbles in the washer.
pasteeater_too
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM

This is a good website with lots of info.  I love to just look through it.  You can search for homemade laundry soap in her search bar. I think she has dry and liquid soap.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/

You'll have to copy and paste the link.  I can't make it clicky for some reason.  Sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured