Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't think moms/parents in general should get special consideration in the workplace!! *ETA*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 197 Replies
9 moms liked this
I am a manager at my place of employment. It drives meinsane when people think they should get special treatment just because they have children. Like getting day shifts instead of afternoon/evening shifts, being consistently late, calling in because they don't have a sitter and other things of that nature. Then they Bitch and complain they are passed up for promotions and they are discriminated against because they have kids.

If they are consistently late I write them up. If they call out and don't give proper notice I write them up. Just like I would any other employee. When promotions come up I look at the employees attendance, punctuality, and job performance not whether or not they have kids. Same thing when a coveted day shift opens up. I've had people say they deserve them more so they can be home with their families. Sorry you don't earn it you get passed over.

I just had a lady that I terminated because she called in at least once every pay period because she didn't have a sitter or her kids were sick. She said I discriminated against her because she has kids and tried to get unemployment. I provided unemployment with copies of her write ups (she would call in after her shift started) and she was declined. I have kids too and in five years I've never missed a day and can count on one hand the amount of times I was late.

Do you think employers should give special treatment to people with kids?

*ETA*

Basically I feel people should earn better shifts, promotions, and raised based on job performance (attendance and punctuality are a part of that) just as I would never discriminate against someone who has kids I won't discriminate against those that don't. Everyone is treated equal with equal expectations. Just because someone has kids does not make them more entitled.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:21 AM
6 moms liked this

Thank God............ I owned my own company and I tried to accommodate anyone that I could as far as scheduling. Shit happens, emergencies happens.....life happens

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I think flexibility for emergencies, whether the employee is a parent or not, is just a good practice for businesses to have. My mom worked for a manager who did not allow such flexibility and drove herself to work on a broken leg because she was so worried about her job. Thankfully, that store director was fired within a few months due to so many complaints. 

When I worked, I only worked for companies that had flexibility built into the schedule, but that was my choice. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:26 AM
3 moms liked this
Well I'm not a monster about it but I hold them to the same standards as anyone else. You don't consistently call in after your shift started and expect to still have a job. If you need to work then have a backup plan. If its only once or twice ok i can be understanding. But all the time? That shows lack of planning and why would I want to put a person like that in a senior position?

Quoting Sassy762:

Thank God............ I owned my own company and I tried to accommodate anyone that I could as far as scheduling. Shit happens, emergencies happens.....life happens

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm not a time Nazi, I could care less if you're late as long as your work is not affected and you properly track your time. I'm also huge about flexible work schedules, etc. We are all grown. We know what we need to do. So no, I don't care who, what, or why it is your paycheck, not mine. Just don't say you're here and you're not.

However, I am not in retail or customer service, we see nobody in our office. So. Shifts, etc, are not an issue for me. I do take note of sick days taken, etc.
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:27 AM
14 moms liked this

i dont think raisins should ever be used in cookies.

Love2HateMe
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:27 AM

YOu never know what circumstances are outside of work. I am a single parent of 4 kids at this point and back when I just had 2 kids I was dealing with CPS... I could only leave my kids with preapproved sitters if I happen to not be able to use one sitter on the weekend I had one other pre approved, but happened more than once that both were out of commision ( one broke their leg and the other had been sick the one time ) I had no one to watch my kids for me.... 

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a time Nazi, I could care less if you're late as long as your work is not affected and you properly track your time. I'm also huge about flexible work schedules, etc. We are all grown. We know what we need to do. So no, I don't care who, what, or why it is your paycheck, not mine. Just don't say you're here and you're not.

However, I am not in retail or customer service, we see nobody in our office. So. Shifts, etc, are not an issue for me. I do take note of sick days taken, etc.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree..... I wouldn't allow someone to abuse my kindness and willingness to reschedule them when needed. Thankfully no one tried to abuse that privilege........probably because they knew I could be Mega Bitch when needed, lol

Quoting Anonymous: Well I'm not a monster about it but I hold them to the same standards as anyone else. You don't consistently call in after your shift started and expect to still have a job. If you need to work then have a backup plan. If its only once or twice ok i can be understanding. But all the time? That shows lack of planning and why would I want to put a person like that in a senior position?

Quoting Sassy762:

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I worked (at a career) both before and after I had kids.  You set up back up plans.  Hell, I was a single mom and STILL had backup plans!  Most places I worked didn't have a lot of flexibility - they're a business, and most of the ones I worked for were Fortune 100 companies.  They don't get to be successful by giving into employee whims and unpreparedness.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Flexibility is one thing. Expecting special treatment simply because you have kids is another thing completely. If there's an emergency and they have proper documentation fine. I'm not going to reprimand them. Shit happens. If they want a promotion so they can work better hours but don't want to put in the work for it how is that fair to the people who actually do put in the work for it?

Quoting sheramom4:

I think flexibility for emergencies, whether the employee is a parent or not, is just a good practice for businesses to have. My mom worked for a manager who did not allow such flexibility and drove herself to work on a broken leg because she was so worried about her job. Thankfully, that store director was fired within a few months due to so many complaints. 

When I worked, I only worked for companies that had flexibility built into the schedule, but that was my choice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)