Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Levothyroxine and Metformin

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

Has anyone taken these for PCOS, hypothyroidism and weightloss?

I was finally officially diagnosed with PCOS, hypothyroidism and I'm getting more blood work done to confirm type 2 diabetes. I'm roughly 150lbs overweight and I've been working out between cardio and weight training about 2 hours/day 6 days a week for the last 6 months and I've lost... wait for it... 4lbs. I'm disheartened, to say the least, so I was wondering if anyone else has had any success with either of these medications to help speed up the weightloss?

I started the meds today, so I know it's too soon to even hope for any sort of progress, however between one or the other I had some horrible stomach cramps and had about 4 bowel movements (sorry for the TMI) today and lost about 2lbs just from that >.<

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:32 AM

BUMP!

Mom-to-2kids
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:33 AM
I haven't taken meds for weightloss, however I did loose 150lbs :) and I have to say this, WAY TO GO!!! It takes a lot of work to loose weight. Don't get discouraged keep it up!
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:34 AM

I take metformin but I do not have PCOS. I have diabetes.

Manoloblanikgrl
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
You can't outrun your fork. I have no thyroid and pcos. I started eating clean and cutting out bad carbs. I work out and do weights 5 or 6 days a week and I'm down 12 pounds since October. Go see a dietician. It'll help you tons!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muzzyh
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM
I have no experience with that, but good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: I haven't taken meds for weightloss, however I did loose 150lbs :) and I have to say this, WAY TO GO!!! It takes a lot of work to loose weight. Don't get discouraged keep it up!

that's the thing, though. I am getting discouraged because I've only lost 4lbs in 6 months of intense cardio and weight training. And I know I shouldn't base everything off of the scale, but even the fit of my clothes hasn't changed, nothing's gotten loose, some stuff has gotten tighter. So after months of trying to go about this shit holistically, I broke down and went to a proper medical doctor and here I am now lol

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Oh,  the metformin caused my hips to hurt but drs chalked it up to the diabetes. That was nearly 2 years ago. I am still on it. I got my blood sugar stablized and tried to get off the metformin but the dr said that is why it is stablized.

It is out of whack right now because of steroids again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Yep 10+ years ago. I'd always been an exerciser and eat the right amount of calories and kept gaining. I was finally diagnosed with hashimoto's & pcos and put on those two things and one other drug. A few months later weight started falling off fast. I lost the full 70 pounds I needed to lose to be at my ideal weight. I didn't change a thing other than take the medications. But like I said I already exercised a ton and ate really healthily.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Quoting Manoloblanikgrl: You can't outrun your fork. I have no thyroid and pcos. I started eating clean and cutting out bad carbs. I work out and do weights 5 or 6 days a week and I'm down 12 pounds since October. Go see a dietician. It'll help you tons!

DH's aunt is a nutritionist and she helped me work out a paleo diet to stick to - still, 4lbs in 6 months... when I did atkins years ago I lost roughly 20lbs in a month and a half, so I'm eating right, exercising properly, etc. and it's not helping (thus the doctor)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:38 AM
I am about 50 lbs overweight from PCOS and endo. I also have a brain tumor that affects hormones that cause weight changes.

I'm trying to get treatment but doc and insurance company can't agree on anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured