Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you punish like your parents?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 34 Replies

I am intersted in hearing if you punish your children like your parents did you. I know that I do not. And I have a very well behaved little one. Not perfect, but certainly respectful and learns from her mistakes. 

My mom would do the following:

If we fought in public as children she would make us stop get in a circle and say a prayer out loud asking forgivness. It was incredibly humiliating. And honestly, after that I HATED praying out loud for even dinner. It made it emabrressing for me. 

She would make us stand for hours with our arms out, typically holding books on each hand. One time she fell sleep and left me standing there until 2am. We'd also have to sit on our knees with our hands behind our head facing her while she watched TV. For hours and hours. 

The list goes on. I do not and will NEVER do anything like this to punish my child. What about you?

Free Fitness Coaching, Great Motivation, Nutrition Plans, Workout advice, And Much More

Beachbody Central- Workout, Get In Shape, Lose Some Weight

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I use to get @ss whoopins with a belt. I definitely would not spank my son with a belt. Maybe a little pop on the but with my hand but definitely no belt. HELL NO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Not even close
wonderstruck11
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Oh god, I can't imagine going through all of that. I got sat in the time out chair or got my hand swatted. I do about the same with my DD. I was a very well behaved child, and I hardly got in trouble. DD is generally well behaved also, but we have had to use the time-out chair more and more since she hit her terrible twos.

aurorabear
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I would get the belt too. I only spank my little one when its something serious... Like the time she lit paper on fire in the fire place and through it in the garbage to hide it....... She hasn't done it since. But it wasn't with a belt and it didn't leave marks. My brother actually PULLED his daughters pants down IN A STORE in front of people to spank her bare bum for talking back. She was 4. I personally think that is incredibly humiliating. 

Quoting Anonymous: I use to get @ss whoopins with a belt. I definitely would not spank my son with a belt. Maybe a little pop on the but with my hand but definitely no belt. HELL NO.

Free Fitness Coaching, Great Motivation, Nutrition Plans, Workout advice, And Much More

aurorabear
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I was really well behaved as well. My mom would punish all of us if one of us did something wrong. And typically it was over things like not vaccumming right. 

Quoting wonderstruck11:

Oh god, I can't imagine going through all of that. I got sat in the time out chair or got my hand swatted. I do about the same with my DD. I was a very well behaved child, and I hardly got in trouble. DD is generally well behaved also, but we have had to use the time-out chair more and more since she hit her terrible twos.

meaganmac
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
There's many things I could say about my mother's discipline and stories I can tell, but I'll leave it at this. My oldest sister moved out to live with my complete nutjob, crotch of an aunt when my mother got so mad at her that she beat her with a wooden broom stick until it broke. So no, I do not discipline like my mother.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Damn! Your mom sounds like mommy dearest. What is your relationship like now?
cybcm
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Well, my Dad used a belt, my Mum used a broom handle, so no.

dmj1574
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I'm a bit more relaxed than my mom.im more like my dad. I was grounded for so long once my mom forgot why she grounded me, she just knew she did. And when she grounded me there was no phone, tv, radio... nothing. (We didn't have cell phones and computers back in the olden days)

If I didn't clean my room.... she`d dump my dresser drawers out...I didn't get the logic in that. And if the dishes weren't done when she got home from work at night (night shift) she would wake my ass up in the middle of the night to do them. She was a mean ass but I love her to death :)

ETA: just wanted to add that after reading everyone's stories, I am in no way complaining...I'm sorry you all went through the things you did :(
aurorabear
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM

That is awful. Sorry you guys had to go through that. 

Quoting meaganmac: There's many things I could say about my mother's discipline and stories I can tell, but I'll leave it at this. My oldest sister moved out to live with my complete nutjob, crotch of an aunt when my mother got so mad at her that she beat her with a wooden broom stick until it broke. So no, I do not discipline like my mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured