Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!! A 5 year old little girl was shot and killed a block from my DD's bus stop.......

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM
  • 31 Replies
A 5 year old girl was in her home eating breakfast when she was struck by a bullet and killed. The police found shell casings a block away from the girls home. The shell casings were less than 100 feet from my DD's bus stop!!!!

News report in comments!!!!!

UPDATE (1/16/14) 3 men have been arrested!!!!! News report in comments page 3!
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof2angels88
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM
New details: Girl, 5, killed by gunfire
Updated: 10:37 PM January 15, 2014
OMAHA, Neb.

View Large
Omaha Crime Stoppers is offering a $5,000 reward for any information leading to an arrest in the shooting death of a 5-year-old girl Wednesday morning in north Omaha.

Authorities were sent to the area of 45th Street and Bedford Avenue for a report of gunshots fired around 9:45 a.m. Wednesday.

-- Watch: Police hold news conference on girl's shooting death

-- Video: Community reacts to girl's shooting death

Investigators found a juvenile female victim at the scene. Officer Michael Pecha said the girl was taken in extremely critical condition to Alegent Creighton Health Creighton University Medical Center, where she later died.

City Councilman Ben Gray told KETV NewsWatch 7 the victim's father is his nephew, identifying the victim as 5-year-old Payton Benson.

At a press conference, Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said the bullets came from a shooting near 44th and Emmett streets, which is a block away from where the girl was shot. Multiple people and multiple weapons were involved in the gunfire.

"I promise the family, this community, that my homicide investigators, my gang investigators will work around the clock leaving no stone unturned," Schmaderer said.

Schmaderer said the girl was inside her home eating breakfast with her mother, Tabatha Manning, when she was hit by a bullet. Her father was identified as Marvin Benson.

“She was inside the house putting her plate up. She just got done eating breakfast,” said Massey Allen, the girl’s second cousin. "I saw her and her mom outside screaming, yelling."

Allen told reporters he heard about 20 shots. Police said the girl and her family were not targeted.

Police confirmed they are searching for a dark Jeep and at least three black men who may have been involved in the shooting. A similar vehicle was found at St. James Manor Apartments near 61th and Spencer streets.

"We have information. We have leads in this case. This is not a situation where we have nothing to follow up on. This is a solvable case and we are going to work it extremely hard," Schmaderer said.

-- View a list of juvenile violent deaths in Omaha

Members of the Empowerment Network gathered with Benson’s family members at the hospital shortly after the shooting.

“She's there living life, eating breakfast and then a stray bullet comes in -- that's unacceptable,” said Pastor Bruce Williams, with Hope Glory Church.

"Being a parent of a 6-year-old, I can't even imagine, but the family has been amazingly strong and I think a part of that is their faith but also the response from the community has been overwhelming,” said Willie Barney, with the Empowerment Network.

A prayer walk in memory of the victim has been scheduled for Thursday evening.

Anyone with information on the case should call a detective at 402-444-5652. If you want to remain anonymous and be eligible for a cash reward, call Crime Stoppers at 402-444-7867. The $5,000 reward the highest reward Crime Stoppers offers from its general fund.

"You know who you are and law enforcement will find out who you are. It may not have been your bullet that struck this is girl, so do the right thing and do yourself a favor in the process. Come down and talk to law enforcement and tell us what you know," Schmaderer said.
Momof2angels88
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Bump
poietes
by Laura on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:42 AM
I'm just a couple hours north so I heard about it on our local news. That is so sad.
iwilliams76
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:42 AM

How sad :-(

Wendi2247
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:43 AM
How horrific. I hate hearing stories like this. I hope they catch the guys and put them away! It's sickening! Thank God your child was unharmed. I think it's time to move. May God be with the little girl's family and the police to help them catch these scum bags!
daisybaby91
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Awful and scary :(
turtle07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM
That's horrible
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Totally not surprised it's a North Omaha story.

I hope they are actually able to solve the case.  It seems too many of the cases in that part of town end up going nowhere.  That girl and her family deserve justice.

diaperstodating
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM

simple frown

Momof2angels88
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:49 AM
It happened around 9:45 this morning, my DD catches the bus at 6:45, but when she was coming home from school they had the whole area blocked off and last I heard the police are still there. The news said that there are going to be a LOT more patrol cars in the area now!

Quoting Wendi2247: How horrific. I hate hearing stories like this. I hope they catch the guys and put them away! It's sickening! Thank God your child was unharmed. I think it's time to move. May God be with the little girl's family and the police to help them catch these scum bags!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)