Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Story Behind The Pregnant Skeleton spinoff

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

Someone else posted a picture of this pregnant skeleton, without the story included, so there were a lot of questions and people wondering the circumstances of their deaths.

I found another picture of the same skeleton, taken from a different angle so the sign next to it is in view, the skeletons are in a monestary museum in Denmark. 

My Danish isn't great, but I can read most of the sign and from what I understand it says that the skeleton is of an approximately 35-year-old woman with an 8 months' fetus in breech position. Between the fetus's head and mother's lumbar vertebrae, there are 17 kidney stones of oxalic acid. The mother's baekkenmol (don't know that word) is approx. 1 cm smaller in every dimension than normal, this may explain the abnormal fetal position: lower body position, which today are found in approximately 3% of all births. The kidney stones suggest an organic disorder of the kidney, an illness that can cause death.

It's interesting, but also sad. While I respect the need to study cases like this from a medical perspective and find it interesting to go see them myself, I also feel that a museum is not the place for human remains.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jessica1078
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:17 AM
I was curious about that- interesting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:19 AM
I wonder if she had what I have. I have more than 17 stones, though. They are oxalate stones.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM

It's possible. It's scary to think about how many things are treatable now that were a death sentence at that time period, how horrible it must have been for this pregnant woman.

Quoting Anonymous: I wonder if she had what I have. I have more than 17 stones, though. They are oxalate stones.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Thats a little creepy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:48 AM

THERE SHOULD BE A WARNING! Hahahahahahahaha! Just kidding! Sorry I just couldn't help it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)