Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was out of line!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:40 AM
  • 7 Replies

WARNING!! this is a long post but bear with me.

So background:  I have two family friends living with me and DH at the moment because their house got broken into and it's under investigation, and the police we're worried for their safety.  No biggie.

BIL's background:  BIL (we will call him Jerk for the time being)  is an absantie father. I know this because MIL and I are raising SIL and BIL's 4 Daughter aged 3 to 9.  EVERY time we go out as a family FIL pays.  In a single outting FIL can pay up to 500 dollars for the 4 different family's (DH brother and his wife,  DH sister and the Jerk, DH and I, and FIL and MIL) BIL has now come to EXPECT FIL to pay for EVERYTHING family outtings and extra.  NO thankyous, NO grattitude.  and while out he and SIL IGNOR THEIR Daughters and make the rest of us take care of thier daughters.  BIL treats FIL like a slave when we go out as a family.  and he playes games on is smart phone and isn't with the rest of the famly. 

The icing on the Jerks mud puddle in my life?  He invited HIS family (No realation to DH AT ALL) to My WEDDING!!!  I had 10 extra people show up.  I had catering.  NO heads up of this.  and I got YELLED at, at my WEDDING... MY WEDDING!!!!!!  Because I didn't have enough for HIS family to eat! WTF?!?!?!  BIL also flat out told me he didn't want to be there and that he hated being there and that he hated that we were inconvinecing him by getting married.  Again WTF?!?!?!?!

So Yesterday it was BIL's birthday.  and we went out as a family and once again FIL paid.  FATHER IN LAW PAID!!!!!!!  Well FIL and MIL know of Friends staying with us.  They are the ones that arranged it and talked to us about the family friends coming and staing with us. So the Friends came to the PUBLIC resturant with us and FIL PAID for them.  While there BIL only played on his stupid phone.  and I lost it.  and told him to put his damn phone away and be with the family and that he was being disrespectful.  He shot daggers at me so I shot daggers back.  BIL put his phone DOWN on the table but not away. 

So today SIL called MIL because BIL was pissed that I had the odacity to bring the friends to dinner with us when FIL told me to! and he also yelled at MIL about me demanding that he put his phone away and be with the family. 

BIL said that I'm 19 and he is 35 and that I was out of line for my behavior. 

Do you think I was out of line for telling him to put his damn phone away?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:47 AM
Yes. It was not the time or place to bring up any issues you have with him.
momof3grls4517
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:47 AM
I don't think it was your place to say something to him.Just like it wasn't his place to complain about extra people at dinner that he didn't pay for. Your in laws need to be the ones to talk to him about eating out if they have an issue with buying his food.
MyStarLight
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:53 AM
He shouldnt have his phone.out in the first place
if.im out with family i will not be.playing.games the whole.time.im there
plus your FIL ask.you to bring.the friends its not like what your BIL did bringing 10ppl with him just because he.felt like it.to.your wedding
csxt99
by Jennifer on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:54 AM

BIL is a major jerk, but it is his wife's job to put him in his place.  Since she won't, and your FIL and MIL seem to just keep allowing him to run over them, then you griping at him is probably not going to change anything, either. It will just cause more drama and stress.

whovianmum
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Bahahaha so he thinks he can rock up to your WEDDING with 10 extra guests and thats cool,but bring 2 extra guests to a birthday dinner he isn't even paying for and thats just out of line!

sidesplittinglaughter

Of course you weren't out of line,what an all around asshole.

lilyrose2011
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:58 AM
What a jerk. I'm surprised you never said anything before now. I would have started putting distance between the family's way long time ago.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM

might not have been right time but one it needed to be said and two seems like you could not take anymore and it came out then. hes an ass

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)