Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom why do we spend so much money on Dad's marijuana?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

That is what my 13 year old son was asking. My DH has epilepsy. He had his first seizure about 5 years ago. One seizure led to having many a day some days as much as 100. He started taking all kinds of medications but they all made him sick and he didnt know what was worth puking all day every day and losing 30lbs or having seizures. Finally his doctor recommend trying marijuana. My DH kind of laughed at first because he smoked it when he was a teenager but hadnt done it since. The doctor told him that it has been shown to be very helpful with seizures. He said he would try it.

After applying for his green card and going through that whole process he went to the dispensary for the first time. Of course he had no clue what to get. They set him up with a vaporizer and 3 grams of w/e strain. He tried it and that day he only had one seizure (he had been having at least 10 before that and this is when he was on prescription pills). He thought maybe it was just a fluke but then again the next day he had only one seizure. He started using it everyday and he has now been 100% seizure free for 2 years now. 

Okay well my DS knows that he uses marijuana as medicine but he didnt know the cost until we were doing a project for school and he had to look at all the finances. We spend about $200-300 a month on marijuana each month for my husband. 

Without thinking my DS asks "mom why do we spend so much money on Dad's marijuana?" I explained to him all the stuff that i explained here and about how at first it seemed like it was a weird idea but now dad is able to live a normal life. When he was on prescription medications he couldnt work at all and now he has a great job and is loving what he does. I explained how marijuana can help many people like dad with medical problems and how the prescription pills were actually more expensive than that so it is so much better all the way around.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:12 AM
That's awesome! Glad he's doing so well.
poohbearkfc
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:13 AM
And did he accept that as an answer. I think you did well.
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM
Awesome. I bet your prescription copays were close to that any way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Yeah he said it made sense. I dont think he ever realized how much it helped. My DH was pretty good at hiding when he was feeling like crap from the kids back when he was on pills because he didnt want them to see him like that. 

Quoting poohbearkfc: And did he accept that as an answer. I think you did well.

abecee
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM

A project for school involving your finances...nope nope nope. (that was my first reaction to your story).

I just don't think its any of your child's business how the money you and your husband make is spent.  As long as child has a roof over his head, food in his stomach, clothing and all necessities you don't owe him or anyone else any explanation of what you spend on what.

Unless of course you are a cm member on pa...then, watch out its then becomes everyone's business.

Tootsiegirl44
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM

That's really amazing. Getting back to a full functioning life is priceless. Best wishes for continued good health.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Well we homeschool so it wasnt a big deal. 

I dont have any problem sharing with my son how our money is spent. 

Quoting abecee:

A project for school involving your finances...nope nope nope. (that was my first reaction to your story).

I just don't think its any of your child's business how the money you and your husband make is spent.  As long as child has a roof over his head, food in his stomach, clothing and all necessities you don't owe him or anyone else any explanation of what you spend on what.

Unless of course you are a cm member on pa...then, watch out its then becomes everyone's business.

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Quoting abecee:

When my teens did this project I gave fake amounts for income and bills. One, not the business of the kids and two, it was not information I felt the school needed to have. My parents did the same when I did a similar project.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jan. 18, 2014 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Just tell him it's because insurance companies don't cover it as a prescription, since they can't figure out how to make money on it.

I'm very glad to hear dh is doing so well!

Marijuana changes lives.
Thunderbug75
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I have a silly question.  In states where it's legal does health insurance over the cost just like other prescription drugs?

I am glad the pot is working for your husband.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)