Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

y'all help me with a birthday party **edit**

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 61 Replies

Dd is having her birthday party this weekend. It will be the first time we're inviting people other than family. 6 girls have been invited and 4 have RSVP'd to say they will be here. What do I do? Should I organize games or something? I really have no idea. HELP!!

I should probably tell she's turning 8.

***edit*** okay, i think we have it planned.  tell me what you think -  (keep in mind, she picked everything)

she wants a "flower power" theme. 

cake decorated w/flowers

pink punch

finger foods (chips & dip, crackers & spinach dip)

we're going to make big ol' flowers out of tissue paper and tie balloons together to look like flowers for decoration

the usual streamers and colored table cloth

the girls will decorate their own masquerade mask and then take pics in a photo booth (decorated with streamers and tissue flowers)

after the photos are printed out, they will decorate a picture frame (maybe using scrapbook paper as a matte????)

scavenger hunt

goodie bags

does that sound okay????

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Definitely have some games for them to play and maybe a craft project.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
This. And cake. Lol

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM

A craft table where they could make something to bring home, photo booth, cupcake decorating, pin the tail on the donkey, ummmm.. idk lol

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Like what?

Seriously, I don't remember going to birthday parties when I was little.

Pinterest, here I come, lol

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Lol...pin the tail on the donkey is all I can think of.

She wants a pinata, but it's too freaking cold outside for that.

A photo booth is a great idea. I can definitely do that

Quoting weeping_angel:

A craft table where they could make something to bring home, photo booth, cupcake decorating, pin the tail on the donkey, ummmm.. idk lol

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Haha I don't know, I have my kids' parties at places so I don't have to come up with the activities, lol. Google "8 year old birthday ideas", you'll find tons.

Quoting almondpigeon: Like what?

Seriously, I don't remember going to birthday parties when I was little.

Pinterest, here I come, lol

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I love planning partiesssssssssssssssss!!

Games? Yes.

Balloon dart game, DO IT (we did it, fun as hell), Twister, DO IT (we did it, fun as hell!)

Maybe a craft if you want.

I made a prize basket and let them fill up their bags at the end of the party. Dollar section @ Walmart or any other stores. V-day is probably already in stores so they should have some cute, pink & fuzzy crap in that section for stuff like this. Don't forget candy.

Also make sure if you're having food to SOMEwhat cater to what younger girls might like.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Starting a bit late aren't we? lol At this point anything you throw together might be a disappointment to the other children comming. Its one thing to throw something together when its just family, but inviting friends seems a little more formal and deserves a bit of family.
danie24
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you need games or some form of entertainment.

What is your daughter and her friends into?
You can do all kinds of simple games with inexpensive prizes.

My daughter turned 8 this past summer.

We did a few games (egg / spoon races, 3 legged races, egg toss, scavenger hunt, etc)

Inside you can do things like clothes pin game, card matching, pin the tail on the donkey, etc.

You could do a girly spa thing. Let them soak their feet while you and a girl friend do a natural face mask, paint their nails, then do their toe nails, and maybe do a cute up do on their hair.

If they aren't into that.. you could set up a "theatre".. make your living room cozy with lots of throw pillows and low lighting, put on a movie, pop some popcorn, etc.

We always have prizes for games, treat bags for the kids before they go home..

It really depends on what your kid likes. Ask her what she thinks

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Crap. I probably shouldn't have waited 'til 2 days before the party to start planning

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I love planning partiesssssssssssssssss!!

Games? Yes.

Balloon dart game, DO IT (we did it, fun as hell), Twister, DO IT (we did it, fun as hell!)

Maybe a craft if you want.

I made a prize basket and let them fill up their bags at the end of the party. Dollar section @ Walmart or any other stores. V-day is probably already in stores so they should have some cute, pink & fuzzy crap in that section for stuff like this. Don't forget candy.

Also make sure if you're having food to SOMEwhat cater to what younger girls might like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)