Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They are reporting me to the DA?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies

Or so the letter my DDs (4) school keeps sending me says. It's PreK and the truancy laws don't apply. But they still use it as a scare tactic. It's dishonest and pisses me off.

I know they need her to have 90% attendance for funding or they will kick her from the PreK program. That's 18 days and today will make 14 excused absences. I am very aware that 14 is a lot. But it's her first time in any kind of school/daycare and she caught pretty much every virus under the sun early on. She was with fever and throwing up all the time and had a cough that lasted nearly two months. Damn straight I kept her out of school if she was puking or with a fever. And I had a Drs note every time.

But the school continues to harrass me and treat me like the worst parent ever. I get letters in her backpack even when she hasn't missed school in weeks. And today I had to call her out for a dentist appointment and the lady lectured for a good 5 min.

Am I doing something wrong? Starting to feel really frustrated.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
They probably get money for having x number of kids enrolled and when she missed, they lose money. Just ignore them.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

That's a crazy amount of absences. Unless she has mono, there's no reason why at the HALFWAY point, she should have been out so many days already. Are you going to keep her home with the sniffles in highschool too? 

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you are doing something wrong! You are taking her to the wrong school. What a load of crap, Momma!

ivegotrhythm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM
In pre K? That's optional? That's bizarre.
2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM
My friends mother got turned in for child abuse almost every school year becAuse she missed so much school. But she was a sickly kid and was diagnosed with lupus her senior year.
sweet_bumblbee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this
Thank you for keeping your child home with a fever or throwing up. Some parents don't care about the other children or even how their own child feels. You take her to the dr and have a excuse for it. They need to lay off. I have six kids and they hardly get sick but when they do,I keep them home. I don't want to share our germs. There so many of us we have strong immune system, doesn't mean everyone else does. It's your child you know what's best for her.
kbec0594
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM
This has been a rough year for illness. D's has had strep twice, the stomach flu, a mysterious fever, and pretty much anything and everything else. I'm also the terrible parent that's keeping him out of school 1 day next week to go to the aquarium. It's preK, I wouldn't break your or your child's back trying to get there.

Luckily DS 's school & teacher have been really great about it. His teacher seems just as excited about the aquarium trip as I am.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM
It really does seems like a lot of absences but it really shouldn't matter for pre-k because it's not mandatory.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess they figure that spot your DD is taking up could go to another kid who will actually show up.

I know you gotta do what you gotta do, but so do they.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)