Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a problem?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 16 Replies

My grandbaby (SD's daughter) is almost 1 1/2 - she wil be 2 in August. (like how I didn't say how many MONTHS she is)  :) Anyway, she doesn't talk. She will say mamamama, dadadada, hi and ow. But that is it.

She understands everything, she will follow directions etc. She was walking by 9 or 10 months - basically I don't see any other delays. Based on google - looking at speech milestones, I don't think she is that far behind, however my SD is concerned. 

My other grand-daughter will be 6 in April and she was talking pretty early. She was almost 2 when my DS was born and I remember having full out conversations with her. Knowing she was a bit more advanced, we are trying not to compare but it is hard.

My advice/thoughts to SD was that since she was the youngest - she didn't/doesn't have to talk because we all do everything for her. She points, we get it. So we should stop that, almost forcing her into talking. My little sister was like this. She didn't need to walk or talk because we did it all for her. My suggestion was when, let's say she wants her cup, she should try and say "cup" before you give it to her. I do not think she will get a referral to a speech therapist at this point, based on what I was reading in the milestones.

What are your thoughts/experiences?  

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I agree with you.  One of mine was like that as well (3rd child).  When we stopped getting things for her, had her ask for things, it got better.  The doctor also suggested we keep background noise (tv, music and so on) to a minimum  And of course, ask the older children NOT to talk for her.

Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM
My thoughts are that you are exactly right not to compare two kids and that yes, you shoukd encourage verbal interaction. No two childrem develop exactly alike. Its wayy too soon to start worrying.
KyahZia
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM
My ds is also 2 in August and he says the exact same things. I'm not concerned. He still won't roll from his back but crawls and walks. I don't see any problem. Just enjoy her, she mite be a late bloomer and ending up surpassing the other kids when she's older :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM
I think kids who are on target in other areas should be left alone (so to speak) to talk when they're ready.
suzanneyea
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM

My first was an early talker, not my second. Not a problem. My second does other things earlier. They are different.

lilmoosesmom
by Cat on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I would stop letting her point to get what she wants. 

myshoes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I have a babysitting boy who will be 2 in July, he only says (his version of) down, go, & bye.  He is an only child and only comes to me 1-2 days a week.  His parents DO EVERYTHING for him.  He points and they get or go or do.  I know he will come around when he is ready. He,too, understands what we are saying.  We say the words we want him to say and are careful not to make it a "battle".  "Are you thirsty? You want your CUP.  Cup (as we hand it to him)."  NOT, "Say Cup and I will give you your cup.  Cup.  Cup?  Cup." They are more likely to choose to mimic and it's not good to say things and not follow thru......you've got to give the kid the cup.  lol

meaganmac
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM
My youngest was delayed in speech. I was concerned because speech delays and impediments are very common in my family. She did have some issues that required speech therapy but the majority of the problem was that her older sister talked for her. They're not quite a year apart and the oldest spoke really early and really well. She always seemed to just know what her sister wanted, even when I had no clue. The younger one would barely talk at all, just point, grunt, screech, etc, but my older one always, always knew what she wanted. And then it seemed that one day, the younger one just started to talk. That was when she was about 2 and a half.
withsecond
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Don't compare her to other kids. Each kid starts doing things when they're ready. 

If she wants something and points to it, tell her what is is and ask her to say it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM
My dd didn't say her first word (mama) until she was 15 months she's 5 now & fine.

I'm sure she's taking it all in & when she's ready she'll talk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)