Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fish tank owners I NEED HELP...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM
  • 38 Replies

I got a fish tank for christmas, i was very happy about it, its one of those halfmoon ones, well, i bought about 5 fish ( petsmart person said that would be perfect) 2 snails and a sucker fish... Well, all was going well for the first two weeks, i gave them a 1/12 pinches of fishfood a day, maybe less... well, all my fish died but the sucker fish and one more fish... the petsmart person told me that would be a perfect amount for 5 fish feeding wise... i got one of those water test strips and  the test came out for acitic water.. Now, i know you can buy tablets to solve that, but does it really help, has anyone had a bad time keeping fish alive?? and i was wondering what fish you had, i dont want agressive fish..... thanks for you help

UPDATE: i just wanted to thank everyone for the tips, i will try a few things, thanks again, soooooo much

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

You should have gotten 'starter fish' for your tank to acclimate it and get the right amount of PH in the water before adding more fish..neons are a good starter fish

ChristinaR
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM

@@@@ ohh, i forgot to menchen, i did let it run for 24 hours for the water to get warm@@@@@

ChristinaR
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM

so, when i go tomorrow, i should ask for the best starter fish?? ok, well , thanks a ton, i hate flushing money down the toilett ( littleraly.. lol )

Quoting Anonymous:

You should have gotten 'starter fish' for your tank to acclimate it and get the right amount of PH in the water before adding more fish..neons are a good starter fish

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM
When we first did ours we had "new tank syndrome "
You need to let it run for.three weeks, take it back to get tested and then add fish.
Start with neons, guppies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM

yes, tell them it's a new tank as well...see if they have any more tips for you too

Quoting ChristinaR:

so, when i go tomorrow, i should ask for the best starter fish?? ok, well , thanks a ton, i hate flushing money down the toilett ( littleraly.. lol )

Quoting Anonymous:

Momsold
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

First people at Petsmart don't know anymore about fish tanks than the average person in the real world does.  Don't listen to them.

Secondly, I've had fish tanks, off and on for 20 years, the one thing I've learned, when starting a new tank, is to cycle it for at least three weeks.

Meaning do not add any fish to the water for at least three weeks to allow the water to grow healthy bacteria, get rid of chlorine and it gets rid of acidity. 

As the anon post mentioned you needed starter fish too to get your PH balance in the right area.  Neons, White Cloud Minnows, Danios and other fish like that are great starter fish.  However, if your tanked has not cycled those will likely die off as well.

What kind of filter do you have?  If it's a hang on the back filter and there is only one, you might want to consider getting another or swtiching to a canister filter.  A canister filter lasts longer, filters larger volumes of water, keeps the water clear and healthy and, although expensive at the start, is cheaper in the long run.

You didn't mention how big the tank is...meaning how many gallons, but the smaller amount of fish per gallon is better.

ballerina18
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I've had my fish tanks for over a year and I haven't lost 1 fish. How large is your fish tank in gallons?

The key to keeping a healthy aquarium is to do frequent water changes. I personally change at least 50% of my water every week. Since your aquarium is new you need to give it time so the "good" bacteria in your aquarium have time to thrive. Google "cycling an aquarium" and you will find tons of good info.

Good luck!

StephMosDef
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM
You should have tested the water before putting fish in. We have large tanks (75gallon) and we let everything balance for a week beforw putting fish in. Sand water rocks. Let the water run through the filter for a few days and give it a chance to warm. Then we test the water and put any balancing chemicals in it if needed. Test again the next day. When 2 tests are in the range we need for the fish then we add the fish.

We have 2 75gallon tanks. One we use for cichlids and the other we use for angel fish.

I think in combination with the acidic water, doesnt sound like you fed them enough. 1/12 a pinch? How much is that?
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Do you have something to treat the water before you add it to the tank? Other than that, I'm not sure. I tried to do the Ph balancing and I was lost...I just kind of let it go while cleaning and treating the water as I added to it and I haven't had a problem. We got platys and gouramis (gouramis can be aggressive).

momof2girls220
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM
How big is the tank, you're probably overcrowding it. If you have too many fish, thw filter cant get rid the ammonia fast enough
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)