Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Isn't This A Little Much????

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: Is this out of line?

Options:

Yes

No

Other - explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/coach-suing-14-old-over-little-league-baseball-204100538.html

Coach suing 14-year-old over Little League Baseball celebration

A California Little League Baseball coach who suffered a torn Achilles tendon is suing one of his former players for throwing his helmet during a game-ending celebration, according to Sacramento's KCRA-TV (h/tBarstool Sports). The kid is 14 years old.

But that isn't stopping Alan Beck from suing the child and Little League Baseball for $500,000 in pain and suffering in addition to another $100,000 in lost wages and medical bills, per the Placer County (Calif.) Superior Court summons obtained by KCRA-TV.

"At first I thought it was joke," the boy's father, Joe Paris, told his local television news station. "Now, I think it's absurd."

Paris' son allegedly tossed his helmet while scoring the winning run in a game this past spring, and the equipment struck and tore Beck's Achilles tendon.

"He is a good guy who was volunteering his time and now he's in a wheelchair. Who's the victim here?" Beck's attorney, Gene Goldman, told KCRA. "This wasn't part of the game. To have someone throw a helmet in that manner, you just don't do that."

Except the kid's in Little League, and Little Leaguers do that. All the time. Heck, Little League's own YouTube channel shows kids throwing equipment during a celebration.

Recovery from a ruptured Achilles tendon can take six months, according to WebMD.com.

Except, the Paris family has been forced to shell out more than $4,000 in legal fees two months before the case is even scheduled to be seen by a judge, according to the report. Joe Paris told KCRA he doesn't have homeowners insurance, which in some cases can cover the costs of such apparent frivolous litigiousness.

Your problem, not ours, says the plaintiff's camp, basically. "If they owned a home," Goldman told KCRA, "they should have had homeowner's insurance."

So, let this be a message to all you kids out there having fun: Don't.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Its unfortunate. He was injured because of the kid. But..its a kid. Idk how I feel exactly
GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. That is a bit ridiculous. Woupd he do the same had he been hit by a sliding kid? You volunteer for a kid's sport. There is a chance for injury.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM
No imo not out of line
Lindzlou91
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM
I said other because I wasn't sure who you were referring to being out of line, I'm assuming the coach, but don't want to base my opinion on assumption.
CJsMommy92
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I think people are too sue happy. 

Join us if you like Anime, reading, writing or just chatting with a bunch of laid back girls. :) We talk about many different things in our group and are always happy to welcome new members. We write short stories, read books together, share poems and quotes, review movies and much more if you'd like to join. Even if you're new to any of these things we'd love to have you. The group started as girls who adored the anime Black Butler but now we've evolved to cover many more things. We are a no drama group and all ages are welcome.

PandTsmomjuly
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM

He's 14, he should know better than to showboat.

Not sure if I'd sue him.

Not sure what I'd think. Man got hurt because of the kid doing something stupid.

I dunno.

PandTsmomjuly
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM

A sliding kid is totally different than a kid throwing his helmet on purpose.

Quoting GreenEyePixie: Wow. That is a bit ridiculous. Woupd he do the same had he been hit by a sliding kid? You volunteer for a kid's sport. There is a chance for injury.

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Thing is the kid did what many kids do. It is not like he purposely chucked it at the couch. My point was shit happens when it comes to kids and sports. Suing the kid is idiotic and greedy.

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

A sliding kid is totally different than a kid throwing his helmet on purpose.

Quoting GreenEyePixie: Wow. That is a bit ridiculous. Woupd he do the same had he been hit by a sliding kid? You volunteer for a kid's sport. There is a chance for injury.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM

This is ridiculous. It was an accident. In my Judge Judy's voice....

newfound09
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:46 PM
He kind of assumed a bit of the liability when he stated coaching. That kind of stuff happens frequently.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)