Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

friday night tikes, have you seen it? youth sports going too far.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
What a disgusting display of what youth sports is becoming.

First i cant believe that any parent would allow their child to play football for those poor excuses of coaches.

I know we all have our moments, but i think most of us check ourselves before it goes too far.

So what do you do to make sure you dont cross that line from proud mom to crazy sidelines mom?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:27 PM
B
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I saw a clip of it on the news yesterday. It sounds horrible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM
It is horrible, and i dont think its uncommon. Parents nedd to smarten up.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I saw a clip of it on the news yesterday. It sounds horrible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM
M
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM
I didn't see it but just read some articles. I do agree with being sick of the everyone get's a trophy thought process, this league has gone to far in the opposite direction. When an 8 year old is showing signs of heat stroke, it is dangerous for the coach to keep pushing. I can really see this being harmful to children. This is quite normal for Texas. We are talking about the state where moms shoot other moms to get their girls on the cheerleading squad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Where does that happen, where every one gets a trophy? I hear hi n here all the tme, but ive never seen this in real life past the age of 8.

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't see it but just read some articles. I do agree with being sick of the everyone get's a trophy thought process, this league has gone to far in the opposite direction. When an 8 year old is showing signs of heat stroke, it is dangerous for the coach to keep pushing. I can really see this being harmful to children. This is quite normal for Texas. We are talking about the state where moms shoot other moms to get their girls on the cheerleading squad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM
In both Maryland and Virginia I have seen it. My uncle is a rugby coach and it drives him bonkers. They also did it when my sister played soccar up through middle school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Where my sister lives in California they didn't keep score my sisters kids were in sports there my nephews 6th grade football team was still not keeping score and they gave each child a participation trophy.  They used to give trophies out for real achievement but some parents got upset.  We live in Iowa and my son has been in competitive sports since he was 5. The coaches set high expectations and won't coddle them but they are not abusive.  We sign contracts as parents and if we misbehave at games or yell at anyone we will be banned for the season.  Our kids can still play unless their conduct is bad too. 

Quoting Anonymous: Where does that happen, where every one gets a trophy? I hear hi n here all the tme, but ive never seen this in real life past the age of 8.

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't see it but just read some articles. I do agree with being sick of the everyone get's a trophy thought process, this league has gone to far in the opposite direction. When an 8 year old is showing signs of heat stroke, it is dangerous for the coach to keep pushing. I can really see this being harmful to children. This is quite normal for Texas. We are talking about the state where moms shoot other moms to get their girls on the cheerleading squad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM
I have to admit i find that really hard to believe. Especially at that age, all those kids could count.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where my sister lives in California they didn't keep score my sisters kids were in sports there my nephews 6th grade football team was still not keeping score and they gave each child a participation trophy.  They used to give trophies out for real achievement but some parents got upset.  We live in Iowa and my son has been in competitive sports since he was 5. The coaches set high expectations and won't coddle them but they are not abusive.  We sign contracts as parents and if we misbehave at games or yell at anyone we will be banned for the season.  Our kids can still play unless their conduct is bad too. 

Quoting Anonymous: Where does that happen, where every one gets a trophy? I hear hi n here all the tme, but ive never seen this in real life past the age of 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)