Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your kid been tested for the gifted program?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

My son is 7 and he is going to be tested for the gifted program. My question is, if your kid has been tested, did you give them practice test before hand? I have no idea as to what I should do for him, if anything!

I am afraid if he does not score high enough he will be devastated. Not because of anything we said to him, but because his best friend at school got in the program and my son really wants to get in too. He just can't stop talking about it. He is a real nerd!! I am anxious for him, just because I don't want him to be disappointed in himself. Any ideas as how to deal with him, if he doesn't score high enough?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:41 PM

BUMP!

momoftwo0406
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM
No practice test here both my kids took it last year and did outstanding on it. Ds is in 2nd grade working on 5th grade work. Dd is in 4th and doing 7th grade work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Isaacsmom5354
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM
My oldest son was tested in kindergarten and did not pass. We just told him that he probably just didn't understand the directions and that he could retest in a few years. He took it again in 2nd grade and passed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM

That's awesome! Was the test intimidating?

Quoting momoftwo0406: No practice test here both my kids took it last year and did outstanding on it. Ds is in 2nd grade working on 5th grade work. Dd is in 4th and doing 7th grade work.

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM

No, my daughter should have tested to skip a grade, but she was behind emontionally, so I didn't think it was in her best interest. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM
My son was tested and he past the test. He's in 5th grade. I didn't put any pressure on him or make a big deal over it just in case he didn't pass. We didn't study at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM

My son doesn't remember taking it in kindergarted. But I know he had taken it and not passed. This year though his teacher thinks he should be tested again. He is one of the top two students in his class. She thinks he could really benefit from the program. I just don't want him to be disapointed if he doesn't pass. Did you give your son practice tests?

Quoting Isaacsmom5354: My oldest son was tested in kindergarten and did not pass. We just told him that he probably just didn't understand the directions and that he could retest in a few years. He took it again in 2nd grade and passed.

PeppermintyTea
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Just one of mine, and no. We took him to a neuropsychiatrist for a full evaluation that was used in consideration with the test they give at school.
alexsmomaubrys2

Yes. Every child in the school is tested. No, they don't send a practice test home. That defeats the purpose of the test. 

StytchWytch

No, they don't at this school until they are older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)