Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

My son is almost 3 months old and I EBF. I still havent had a drink yet because im too scared he will need to nurse before its out of my system. I know it takes about 90 minutes per drink.He nurses CONSTANTLY and his sleeping is very erractic.. I never know if hes actually going to stay asleep or not. Sometimes he will nurse as often as every 20 minutes (hes obviously a comfort nurser). Thats why I havent had any alochol yet because im afraid to chance it. I love wine though and would LOVE a glass lol...but I feel like its not worth the risk. Anyone else feel like that? Or am I being overly paranoid.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM

studies say a glass of wine is fine...

steph0420
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Pump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  1. Alcohol and nursing moms | BabyCenter

www.babycenter.com › Baby › Breastfeeding › Is It Safe?
    While the amount that's transferred if you drink a glass of wine is relatively small, your... It's also a good idea to eat beforehand or when you're having your drink.
  2. Is the alcohol in a glass of wine harmful to my breastfeeding baby ...

www.breastfeedingbasics.com/.../is-a-glass-of-wine-with-dinner-harmful-...
    Some people say that a drink a day is OK, others say to avoid it. ... I've been having aglass of wine with dinner (doing my best to to allow for two hours to ... Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding, Dr. Newman says “Alcohol while breastfeeding?
  3. How Much Alcohol Can I Have While Breastfeeding? Should I Dump ...

babyparenting.about.com/od/breastfeeding/f/pumpdump.htm
    A new mom asks some good questions about nursing while having a drink. ... and thennursing your baby, the occasional beer with your pizza or glass of wine ...
  4. Drinking and Breastfeeding: How Much Is Safe? | Fox News

www.foxnews.com/.../01/.../drinking-and-breastfeeding-how-much-is-sa...
    Jan 4, 2012 - For example, you might feel comfortable having a glass of wine with dinner and then breastfeeding a few hours later when the buzz has ...
  5. Is It Okay To Drink Wine And Then Breastfeed? - Circle of Moms

www.circleofmoms.com › All Communities › Breastfeeding Moms
    Jan 14, 2010 - Both my dr. and my midwife told me to have a glass of wine or a beer once in a while during my last trimester and while breastfeeding. For all of ...
  6. Wine And Breastfeeding? - Circle of Moms

www.circleofmoms.com › All Communities › Breastfeeding Moms
    Aug 27, 2009 - My lac. spec. told me that so long as I wasn't drunk it was fine, and she said if I ... So a glass or two of wine while breastfeeding is absolutely fine.
justone_jen
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM
I would drink a glass of wine and not worry at all. :)
mygardenia
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM

You are being paranoid. Dark beer actually helps the production of milk. Rule of thumb...as long as you can hold your baby. 

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Kellymom.com will have the answers. I know my mom would still have a beer at dinner when she was nusing my siblings. She would nurse them first then eat and have a beer. no harm was done to them. I plan to do this too once I have this baby. 

mygardenia
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Lol you don't need to pump for a glass of wine. 

Quoting steph0420: Pump

TurtleMomma82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

One glass won't hurt.  You'll be fine :)

staci1103
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM
If ur ok to drive ur ok to nurse. If ur too nervous just pump and dump. U may get more responses if u posted this in th bf group. Great group, very informative and supportive:)
coopersmommy843
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM

My son's pedi and the lactation consultant both told me if you don't feel anything from it, there's nothing to worry about.  And there's no validity to pump and dump either so don't waste it for that, once you're fine your milk is fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)