Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

taxes, cohabiting adults

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
My bf has supported me for most of 2013. I made 4k before giving up my job to travel with him for his job and then I got very sick for several months so I'm just now returning to work.
My question is: Can bf claim me as a dependent or something? Can we file jointly even if not legally married? I tried looking it up in the IRS site but I don't really understand their answer. Maybe other people are in similar sitiatiions and can help me out?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Yes he can

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Mine has claimed me for years but I didnt have income.  It never makes a real big diffrence in refund though 100 bucks or so for us.  Im not sure on filing jointly without being married.  Why would you want him to claim you if you had income of your own?   He cant get EIC from you so the benefits are minimal imo.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Yes. My df claimes me as a dependent. Has for the last 8yrs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes he can

TammyKEJ
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM

no, you made too much for him to be able to claim you as a dependant. sorry

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM
I only made 4k in the beginning of the year so I don't know if it would be more beneficial for him to claim me. I don't really know how that works. I've never been supported financially by a bf before.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mine has claimed me for years but I didnt have income.  It never makes a real big diffrence in refund though 100 bucks or so for us.  Im not sure on filing jointly without being married.  Why would you want him to claim you if you had income of your own?   He cant get EIC from you so the benefits are minimal imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM
You had an income you technically need to file.
anyotherday
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM

then correct them... dont just be a giant "you're all wrong" douche

Quoting Anonymous: Wrong.

Quoting mommaFruFru: Yes. My df claimes me as a dependent. Has for the last 8yrs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Actually he can to claim her being married has nothing to do with anything.  We have had our taxes done for us for years and they allways listed me as a dependent.  It may get ticky with her having income though. I probably would just file seperate or go have them done by a professional not CM tax advisors lol.

kimbob2284
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Isn't it if you make more than $600 in a year you have to file? You can't file jointly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)