Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know how to play with my kids. Can you help me?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

I had an old friend over for a while the other day and she's SO GOOD at playing with my kids. And she doesn't even have any. I feel like I don't know how to play with them. But I'd feel too ashamed to right out ask her how she does it. My oldest is 4, if that helps.

How do you play with your toddlers?

i feel so embarrassed that I don't even know how to play with my own kids! What's wrong with me. I feel like a failure for a mother.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:04 PM

get on the floor with a barbie, your dd will come up with a good for instance , lets pretend babrie has a date and her friend is coming to help her get ready. act out with the barbies about getting ready. talk about hair ( you can adjust things for a little girl, like should barbie wear her with barretts or clips?).    Its all about interaction on a childs level.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

get on the floor with a barbie, your dd will come up with a good for instance , lets pretend babrie has a date and her friend is coming to help her get ready. act out with the barbies about getting ready. talk about hair ( you can adjust things for a little girl, like should barbie wear her with barretts or clips?).    Its all about interaction on a childs level.

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Honestly, I'm not really into playing and think it's important that my 4 yr old learns how to play by himself. I will engage with him but I can't sit there for hours playing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I only have one and don't know how to play with him. It's sad because he has no one else to play with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I suck at imaginative play(like pp suggested with barbies) so I play board games and puzzles with my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Me either. I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't have the energy. Idk. I just feel like I should be doing More with them. 

Quoting owl0210: Honestly, I'm not really into playing and think it's important that my 4 yr old learns how to play by himself. I will engage with him but I can't sit there for hours playing.

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Don't feel bad mama.

Quoting Anonymous:

Me either. I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't have the energy. Idk. I just feel like I should be doing More with them. 

Quoting owl0210: Honestly, I'm not really into playing and think it's important that my 4 yr old learns how to play by himself. I will engage with him but I can't sit there for hours playing.

cbear2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:18 PM
I do lincon logs, legos, and trucks with my ds. If its nice i walk n he rides his bike, beach sand castles. Winter we go sledding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing. Often times we put in a movie grab a blanket n snuggle up on the couch together until it turns into a wrestling match or tickle torture.
harlequinnism
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Don't stress it too much. Even if you're not good at some things, you'll find you're great at others. I suck at imaginative play and running around all goofy, which gets huge smiles out of my kids (my husband and in-laws are good at it, and I get so jealous sometimes)... But I'm great at crafts and puzzles and doing things like baking with them. More structured stuff, I guess. And they love doing that stuff with me.
cbear2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM
My mom spent hours playing wit my ds when he.was younger but with that it turned into she cant even have a conversation when hes around becuz its "grandma play wit me play wit me grandma come on grandma!!!" Hes gotten better now but he still thinks she should play with him every second she is around:) lol

Quoting owl0210: Don't feel bad mama.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)