Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common Core.. The bullet that's going to sink our children's education!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Education at it's very Core.. is different for every person. 

Some are kinetic learners, some are visual learners, some are auditory learners.. some are a variety of these in an individualized combination.

In education, of course, what it’s assumed that everybody should be required to know is called “the core.” Responsibility for teaching the core is divvied up between teachers of math, science, language arts, and social studies.

However when you hold up/slow down the pace of what your teaching.. so that "every school" is teaching on the same pace etc.. Kids who got the lesson on day 2.. have to wait 2-3 weeks for the rest of the lesson to be over.. and it becomes repetitive and not in the good memorizational way.. but in the I AM SO BORED I COULD SPORK OUT MY EYES WAY!

Common core isn't helping our kids.. I agree there should be a bar... aka a minimum standard for each grade.. but I don't think those who successfully get it..should be penalized because a school 900 miles away needs more time to teach kids who were indeed left behind.. something they should have learned 5 months ago.. etc.. 

Ladies I suggest we think about it.. Slowing down so the slowest kids get it.. is fine in theory.. but what about the stuff they have had to cut out of the curriculum to have little sally learn how to diagram things like a basic addition problem.. It isn't helping.. it is slowing us down and ultimately DUMBING OUR KIDS DOWN!

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LadyBugMom09
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I really don't understand why every district, every school, every class has to be the same. Let teachers teach! They're the ones there every day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Common Core is simply a set of learning standards.  It's up to the district and each individual teacher on how to best teach those standards. Teachers should be able to challenge  one set of kids while slowing down for another. My district uses CC, and no lesson lasts 2 to 3 weeks. Instruction is differentiated. If schools are teaching the SAME things at the SAME PACE then yeah, that's a problem. That's not what CC is meant to do. It is certainly not how we implement it.

BrittSam2011
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Homeschool!! Lol

mamasaurusRex
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Common core has increased the standards, not lowered them. Convince the rest of your state to pay more taxes and then everyone can learn at their own speed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Countess79
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)