Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Minimum wage debate.

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the minimum wage be raised?

Options:

Yes

Yes but to 10-11

Yes to 14-15

Yes raise wages for all

No

No because small business owners cannot afford it

No because everyone's wages have been stagnant for years

No because prices will go up

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

This was on Facebook, now it's supposed to include gas prices too.

So

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM
7 moms liked this
Raising the minimum wage is basically useless. All that will do, is increase the cost of living, making people poorer than they were before. Minimum wage isnt the problem, inflation is, and the fact that the US dollar is basically worthless.

Besides minimum wage is meant for high school kids. It is not meant to support a family on. If you want a good paying job, get an education or a trade, and have the skills to make yourself marketable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
No what happens when minimum wage goes up & all you can get is a banana for $20 f'ing dollars!

I'm so sick of people saying they can't live on min. wage. If you can't live on min. wage get a better job, if you can't get a better job get a damn education. There are so many jobs out there. Seriously there are a lot.
GrandNagus
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes minimum wage should be raised. It has not kept pace with the cost of living in general.

With that said. Raising minimum wage is not going to help the majority of people in this economy. Wages are stagnant and depressed in most fields and in most places. That's mostly due to the fact that the service industry is the #1 private employers in the country. For many years now, that has been the largest growing industry, and the one hiring the most people. With the service industry dominating the job market, wages for most all industries are depressed and stagnant. The only way to truly improve the economics of the situation, and in turn every day hourly wage earners finances, is by having new and growing industries develop in the States. Especially industries that focus on creating, employing, and growing right here in the States. No out-sourcing, no off-shoring, and little to no in-sourcing. This isn't going to happen any time soon though because tax breaks, tax credits, for larger companies reward doing those things. 

SweetPoison
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I think minimum wages should be increased based on the cost of living standards of each state or even each city You shouldn't have to kill urself working 3 jobs to support ur kids

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Minimum wage needs to keep up with inflation. All wages should
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Minimum wage isn't meant to support children.

Quoting SweetPoison:

I think minimum wages should be increased based on the cost of living standards of each state or even each city You shouldn't have to kill urself working 3 jobs to support ur kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM
You can buy a lot on 20 if you shop right
danie24
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM

It's 10.30 where I am from.

I don't think raising it matters when they keep raising prices of goods and services right along with it.

RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM

That picture is far from accurate. 

SleuthMaria
by Love a tomb. on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Quoting danie24:

It's 10.30 where I am from.

I don't think raising it matters when they keep raising prices of goods and services right along with it.

I think it's $7.25 here, hasn't been raised in a few years, but prices have gone up. Wages should definitely go up when prices do, in my opnion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)