Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

parenting adivice please

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM
  • 15 Replies

I just had my daughter two weeks and two days ago. I also have a 21 month old boy. This being said. I need a little advice.

My daughter is pretty easy so far. granted lack of sleep is exhausting, but it's not bad. My issue is with my almost two year old son. He's being really good about his new sister. He loves loving on her. kisses, hugs, patting her, etc. But when it comes to him and me, oh my word! He does not listen to me! I just told him to stay off the couch because of his step dad's work stuff was up there, and he was playing with it. So I took him down he got his punishment, and as soon as he was done, he went right back to it! He climbs on to my dining room chairs to reach stuff that's on the table, stuff he KNOWS he is NOT supposed to play with, after his punishment, he goes right back to it! I'm seriously almost in tears because of the stress he's bringing me! I know it's normal two year old actions, but how do I deal with it!

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 3, two are my boys and I just had my baby girl December 30th. I plan on enlisting into the army as soon as possible to serve my country and see some action. I have a great boy friend who loves my kids as much as I love them! If you are interested in belly dance or sword fighting but don't know where to start, go a head and ask me!

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this
1 he is still a baby. Just because he's the biggest doesn't make him big.

2 remove what distractions you can. Step dad's stuff keep it off the couch and out of his sights. Don't put fun stuff on that table he can climb.

3 consistancy. Whatever your punishment is ... do it. Every time. Even if you have to pull him off the couch twenty times.

4 invest in a baby wrap. Saved my life.
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:42 AM

time to start the time out.  yep I loved having my baby carrier.  Also part of his behavior is to get more of your attention.  belly dancing question: totally safe to do while pregnant right? I use it to tone my core mostly and it has worked wonders! 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

He is looking for attention.........

Put him in Time Out each time he disobeys you and remove all of the distractions

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:45 AM
If you want advice run far from this group!
I'm no help I could leave the house with my son for the entire day at that age and when we came home he would go right back to whatever he wasn't supposed to do.
PinkyPan
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:26 AM

He is only 2. You are setting him up to fail by not putting things out of his reach. Child proof and put things away.

tossed
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:34 AM
2 moms liked this

He is 2 and some of this is normal. He is also trying to adjust his world to the presence of a sibling. He loves the baby, but is trying to adjust to his new order in the family. Kids will act out to get attention. They don't care if it is negative attention, it is still attention to them. In addition to consistent discipline, make sure you give ample praise when he does things well. Set up some special mommy and son time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha! Totally normal for his age and situation! He's testing you to see if he can get away with stuff now that someone else is in the house and because he's "older." Be consistent, every time! If not that's when the big problems start. And just remind him that he's a good kid and you love him. He just wants your attention
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Normal.
Start leaving things he shouldn't have where he can't reach them.
Time out for two minutes, Consistency.
Also make sure you make a point to spend time away from baby with just him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
He is perfectly normal. A 2 year old is curious by nature and is going to get into everything. It is how he learns and develops. Expect him to do this. Put stuff up you dont want him in. It is unrealistic to expect him to know how to curb his curiousity. Spend time playing with him too. The new baby might need your attention but the 2 year old does too.
drewby1
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Glad you're reaching out, friend. I have been where you are. The stress you're feeling is normal, but it's still no fun, is it? The behavior of your boy is very typical of his age and can be frustrating - just know that it will get better, I promise! Are there any family members close by who can give you a hand once in a while so you can get some rest? There's a lot of good info over at Focus' parenting site: http://bit.ly/1eREOUt. I wish you all the best. momma. Please keep us posted!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)