Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should a woman keep her ex husbands last name?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
After a divorce should a woman keep the last name or go back to her maiden name? What about if he is going to remarry? I have a friend who is about to marry her fiancé. He was married previously. She feels his ex wife should go back to he maiden name. I never even knew this was an issue for anyone. Do you know anyone who has issues with this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM
4 moms liked this

i dont care really.  i am keeping my married name.  if my ex decides to remarry a woman who will have issues of his ex having his last name then SHE has other issues she needs to deal with before marrying him

UxorQuodMatris.
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM
7 moms liked this
If I were to divorce, I would keep my last name because it's the name I share with my children. If I remarried, I would hyphenate.

If his new wife has an issue with it, oh well. Surely no one secure in their own relationship would.
invisibleme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM
I kept mine when I divorced it was easier than my maiden name
TrueTrophyWife
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM
She sounds jealous of her. I wouldn't change my name back to my maiden name, especially if I had a child with that last name. I would probably change my name if remarried especially if we were going to have any children. I wouldn't care what the ex did tbh.
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM

A woman can be called by whatever name she chooses. A lot of divorced women keep their married name simply because it's usually their kids' last name as well, or perhaps have had that name for such a long time they've established their own person with that name. I've been married so long now, that I doubt I would ever change my name...and it is my name. I paid for it! ;-)

Your friend sounds extremely insecure and immature. Perhaps she should reconsider marrying at this time, until she gets some issues worked out.

Texasladybug84
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM
3 moms liked this
I kept mine after the divorce it's a pain to change it. But I got remarried anyways. So kinda glad I waited so I didn't switch then switch again lol.
ChrissyReznor
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM
I plan on keeping my married name forever,I hate my maiden name
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM

the name was a gfit. he decided to marry her and give her his last name it is now hers to give up if she wants.

frenzied
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I kept my married name only because of our boys.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I don't care one way or the other. Maybe they established a career with the married last name or have children and want to share a last name. I don't think the "wife to be' has anything to worry about. She will be Mrs. SoandSo, the ex wife will be Ms. SoandSo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)