Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Privacy fence: Update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

We live in one of those neighborhoods where all the houses are close together  and all of the yards are separated by privacy fences. Well one side of that fence is falling apart and our landlord is refusing to get it fixed, we can't afford to fix it ourselves and our neighbors will not fix it. On all technicality it is there side of the gate with the issues because their dogs ram the gate until it breaks. Problem is that has encouraged our dogs to start digging at the main broken area so the neighbors dogs and our dogs will fight through that hole in the fence. I keep putting things in front of it and trying to block it off and filling in the hole but both sides of dogs pull it all apart so I am at a loss and not exactly sure what to do. Any suggestions on doing a temp fix they won't be able to rip apart would be awesome.

Update: The dogs successfully tore down a part of the gate that was big enough for dogs on both sides to get through. Luckily the dogs got along and that has been temporarily fixed so they cannot get through. Had a serious talk with the landlord and he will be fixing the gate sometime next week.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM

You need to find a way to fix it,  you aren't being a responsible pet owner if your dogs are getting through the fence!

TexTornado
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM

If neighbors share a fence, they should share the cost of repair.  If their dogs are tearing down an otherwise good fence, they should take on more of the cost (doubt the will).  There's no good way to shore up a wooden fence--have you tried cinder blocks? 

AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM

if the fence is not on her property she is not responsible so her or her landlord need to put up another fence.  the property owner is responsible for the fence

Quoting TexTornado:

If neighbors share a fence, they should share the cost of repair.  If their dogs are tearing down an otherwise good fence, they should take on more of the cost (doubt the will).  There's no good way to shore up a wooden fence--have you tried cinder blocks? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM
They are fighting through the fence, not actually
Going through it

Quoting Anonymous:

You need to find a way to fix it,  you aren't being a responsible pet owner if your dogs are getting through the fence!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I have acutally suggested that but they flat out refuse to work with me at all. Seeing as they won't even work with me I won't even be able to repair the fence because I would have to go onto their yard to put up new planks.

Quoting TexTornado:

joeannaanthony
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Maybe you should go ahead and get it metal fenced so that the issue is settled once for all. Also it makes for greater security, is long lasting and much more elegant.

anitarichman
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Who put the fence up? It's their responsibility to repair it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Finally had an in depth discussion with the landlord after the dogs broke a section of the gate and all of the dogs (the neighbors and ours) we found running back and forth into both yards. Luckily they got along perfectly but we did a temp fix on that section and the landlord said he was going to put a new gate up on that side sometime next week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)