Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The only time I feel like my mom in-law should butt out...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

She lives with us since her husband died and she's sick with kidney failure...
I did our taxes and hubs and I are getting about 6,000+ I can't remember the exact amount...
She made a comment on how she doesn't want us blowing through it.
One. It's our money, and we pay ALL the bills... on time, blah blah... So if we wanted to BLOW our 6 grand we could...
Two. We have a plan, which is to pay the last 600 of my tuition, buy a soon to be DD's travel system and our son a twin bed since he's going to out grow his toddler bed soon.... Then the rest is going straight to DH's truck payement.
Three. It's just not her bussiness?

This is the only time she really has ever annoyed me.
We pay for her med bills, her food, and we don't ask her for money since she doesn't really get much... She gives us about 100 a week which we put towards electric.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KrissyKC
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Maybe she was just stunned by the amount. I don't think tax returns were that high when she would have been raising kids. I mean if its outside her normal to say something like that...just blow it off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM

She knows we got 8,000 last year... Thats how we bought her car....

Quoting KrissyKC: Maybe she was just stunned by the amount. I don't think tax returns were that high when she would have been raising kids. I mean if its outside her normal to say something like that...just blow it off.

KrissyKC
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Hmmm..then maybe its wishful thinking that you will spend it on her again.

Quoting Anonymous:

She knows we got 8,000 last year... Thats how we bought her car....

Quoting KrissyKC: Maybe she was just stunned by the amount. I don't think tax returns were that high when she would have been raising kids. I mean if its outside her normal to say something like that...just blow it off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Or maybe she is just a mother who feels it is her duty to issue caution to her son and dil.  Maybe she feels guilty because you guys bought her a car before and are taking care of her...that she hopes you don't have plans to splurge on her again.  Maybe, because she IS family and living with you, you could show respect and include her by sharing your plans...to ease her worries.  She IS, after all, under your care and at your mercy.  And she has the grandmother's right to worry over her grandkids...and her own son.

But...I don't know her.  She could be a right terror and an antagonistic interloper. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM

She knows for a fact she would never have to worry about us financially.
That no matter what we will always be taken care, she will always be taken care of.

Quoting Anonymous:

Or maybe she is just a mother who feels it is her duty to issue caution to her son and dil.  Maybe she feels guilty because you guys bought her a car before and are taking care of her...that she hopes you don't have plans to splurge on her again.  Maybe, because she IS family and living with you, you could show respect and include her by sharing your plans...to ease her worries.  She IS, after all, under your care and at your mercy.  And she has the grandmother's right to worry over her grandkids...and her own son.

But...I don't know her.  She could be a right terror and an antagonistic interloper. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)