Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

App Let Kids Give 'Fat' Doll Plastic Surgery -- Who Thinks These Things Up?!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 39 Replies

App Let Kids Give 'Fat' Doll Plastic Surgery -- Who Thinks These Things Up?!

by Emily Abbate

Fat barbie app

I can't even imagine the bozo who thought  that an application slicing and dicing an "unfortunate looking" Barbie was a good idea. Apparently Apple's App Store pulled a Barbie-inspired plastic surgery app, called Plastic Surgery & Plastic Doctor & Plastic Hospital Office for Barbie Version, earlier this week after some intense backlash from Twitter. The game walked users through the extremely graphic steps of liposuction that would be performed on a chubby version of Barbie to make her look "slim and beautiful."

Seriously.

How did that all work out, you wonder? Well players could inject anesthetic, make an incision with a scalpel, and then actually suction out fat with a pump on all of Barbie's "problem areas."

And people wonder why young girls have a problem with their body image?

The fact that this app, which was approved for ages 9 years and up, would be played for "fun" makes me sick. I mean, what parent would be OK with their child playing a game where it's standard to slice a chunk out of someone's stomach to make them "beautiful," so to speak? What kind of parent would think this was a NORMAL way to spend part of a Saturday afternoon?

The answer: Not any that I know. When it comes down to it, it's a parents job to show their children that beauty doesn't just mean being thin. Beauty is about what's on the inside. Beauty is about how a person feels, and the attitude they project.

Although it may be hard filtering out some of the poor body image messaging in the media for children, it's important to reinforce the right kind of ideals in the home. It's important for them to know that there isn't one definition of beautiful.

Thankfully, the app has been pulled since the controversy.

Is this absolutely despicable or what? What else do you think contributes to young girls' insecurities?

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
That could be a great tool to help motivate kids to stay in shape or lose weight.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Was it a free app?

If you're letting your 9 year old download anything they want and pay for it, you have bigger problems than letting them play plastic surgeon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this
Kids wouldn't have these insecurity issues if they didn't see their moms having the same insecurities.
LukeWarmwater
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Ya that seems legit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I wouldnt have allowed my kid's to download that

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this
They should have an exercise and eating right app rather than a lipo app. The majority of kids aren't having plastic surgery to lose weight nor should they.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

blank stare

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:47 AM
I have seen the app. My 13 year old niece downloaded it for her 11 year old sister without really knowing what it was. She was horrified when she finally got around to opening it. She deleted after showing me and we went through the rest of the apps she had downloaded.

It's gross and does show a lot of cartoon detail!!!!!!
withsecond
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Wow, that is one of the most stupid apps I've ever seen. 

alc4evermom
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

There is an agenda in general to try and make all people feel inferior enough that they will never have a self esteem high enough to oppose authority figures and oppose controlling relationships.  In my own experience, poor body image was taught by my family.  The moment I gained any confidence about anything I was reminded that I was fat, ugly, stupid----I am not even kidding.  My self esteem was self taught after a nervous breakdown and hitting the bottle literally put me on my deathbed.

I think that app is stupid, but you don't have to believe everything the world tells you.  The world has us jumping through so many hoops that it becomes quite insane.  A lot of people that the world views as having the perfect body will mutilate themselves and suffer the same kind of body dismorphia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN