Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's all trashed, or not?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM
  • 87 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the items go on the claim, or just be cleaned up?

Options:

You're over reacting, just clean the stuff up and if it still works when you plug it in, it's fine

Some items I think you can clean, but others no.

Trash them all. Glue and glass? I'd never use it to make food again.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 99

View Results

Okay I need some help. I had several things break in our move and I've been spending all my time unpacking and taking pictures. Today, I started to pull things from a huge box and the papers were just soaked. It didn't smell like anything and I kept wondering what in this box had leaked. As I got further and further in to the box, the stuff was wetter and wetter. Then I opened something and glass and glitter went everywhere. It was our "calm down jar" So what was all over this box was, glue and water, and now.....glitter and glass. At the very bottom of the box, appliances. I'm at the point now where I don't even know if I'm being reasonable anymore. My juicer, my Foreman grill, and my wok all covered in glue, water, glitter and glass. I really don't want to replace my wok. I've been seasoning it for 8 years and it was expensive.  I don't know that I can use my Foreman grill in good faith. I know the glue was watered down, but everything is covered in a layer of glue. Even after I clean it, will I have cleaned in well enough? The juicer? I'm afraid there's tiny shards of glass in it. So are these things trashed, or am I being ridiculous? I have claim forms to fill out, the lid to the wok was already bent to holy hell. I'm not going to replace it, I'll just throw it out. I think there's a way to strip a wok and then reseason it. I'm just not sure. What's your opinion?

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heisenberg
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM

BUMP

Heisenberg
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM

BUMP

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I would clean them up as best I could and go from there. I wouldn't plug in any of the electronic stuff for at least a few days so they can dry entirely.

Heisenberg
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Quoting LokisMama:

I would clean them up as best I could and go from there. I wouldn't plug in any of the electronic stuff for at least a few days so they can dry entirely.

That's a good idea. 

Heisenberg
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

BUMP

abecee
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM

That was a huge box.

Heisenberg
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM

About 3 feet tall. Most of the boxes were that big or bigger.

Quoting abecee:

That was a huge box.

michelles89
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Well in my personal opinion none or would be saved but if you want to keep it clean it the best you can I guess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Damn that sucks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Who the heck packed your stuff? Why would you, or whomever did the packing, not pack those types of things separately? Personally, I'd try to salvage whatever I could, but if any of the glue, glass, glitter, etc. got inside any tiny crevices or the motor housing, etc., I would trash it all and start over for safety's sake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)