Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your working and going to school while being a mother

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
Do you feel guilty?

I am currently in school, i work part time and im a mother of 3.
School is really taking up everybit of little free time i have. I dont need to go to school, DH has a good job But i secretly love going. I finally feel like im doing something for me. I feel proud of myself and when i graduate ill feel accomplished.

The problem is my time, or lack of. Everytime my kids ask for something or wanna spend time with mom lately its always " cant right now momma has school work". I feel so guilty.

I feel like school is so tough that if im kicking ass i really wanna go for it (masters degree) but i hate that im basically ignoring my kids it feels like. And i know that bettering myself in turn betters them but they still need there mom around.

I think i will go for a different degree for now(associates) and later go back for my bachelors, so i get the best of both worlds- ill be a college graduate and i still have mommy time! :)

*** how did you ladies balance it all?!?!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RalphsMommy123
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Going to school is my plan. Im a single mother to one and Im scared that what you're going through is what I'm going to be going through. Im willing to take online classes so I don't have to be away all day. I plan to work full time too. Im confused on what to do. Im not in your situation yet but here's a BUMP for ya.
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Yeah I did. But the way I had to look at it was it was only temporary and I'm doing it to better our future.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Quoting RalphsMommy123: Going to school is my plan. Im a single mother to one and Im scared that what you're going through is what I'm going to be going through. Im willing to take online classes so I don't have to be away all day. I plan to work full time too. Im confused on what to do. Im not in your situation yet but here's a BUMP for ya.

That what i thought so i did online too. So far much harder because they take the normal 16week course and make it 8weeks. I litterally have a paper due everyday or test except sunday! Thats why i have no time! And i know every class isnt this intense but this one is draining me!
LadyVoldemort
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I couldn't juggle it, and I ended up quitting my job.

mrs_patterson
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I've been there. Right now, I have a 3 year old and am pregnant with #2. I'm fortunate enough to have recently been able to become a SAHM, but up until about a month ago, I worked full-time, took 8-9 hours every semester and also cared for my son. It was SO hard, because I felt just like you--all my free time was spent on homework. Even now, if my son sees me using the computer, he'll say, "Oh mama, you're just doing your homework..." The only thing that keeps me going is that I want my kids to have better. I want my kids to see that I worked hard to make life better for them; I want them to have opportunities that I didn't. Granted, I chose my major & career field based on how it would affect my children. If I didn't have kids, I would major in criminal justice and would LOVE to be a profiler, however, I chose to follow the path of speech pathology, which pays great, and I'm hoping to get a job in the school system, so as to have the same hours and vaction times as my kids. It will pay off in the long run... don't give up! 

BeAmour
by Tonya on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Shit! I don't even work and I feel like a bad parent!

I'm in school almost all week and then have to put in clinical time and then study time if I'm not at school.

I just stay up super late and it just leads to exhaustion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM
I lucked out. I went when my DD was in school and she would go to her dad's on the weekends. I worked three days a week Friday-sunday (12hours) and went to school Mon-Thursday. I treasured the rare day we'd get to spend together with no school or work. I did this for two years. I am now employed Monday-Friday and we get almost every weekend together because her dad moved. It was exhausting but worth it.
preacherskid
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM

No.  I reserve guilt for killing pets and dreams.  I just finished my BSBA in November, and yes I had to sacrifice quite a bit, but I managed to adjust my routine so that I still had time for the girls, and then did homework after they were in bed.  The housework suffered, but the girls didn't.  My degree will open more job opportunities for me, and with me being the sole wage earner, having a decent salary and being able to leave the assistance behind is crucial to me.  I was able to show my girls what my mother and grandmother showed me-it is never too late to go to school and better your education, and if you work hard enough, you can succeed at nearly anything you set out to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM
I went to school full time and also worked full time. I'm a single mom, so I didn't feel like I had much choice. If I didn't go out and do better for us, we would always be in the same situation. It meant a few hard years, but I graduated in December and an currently working two jobs. As soon as I'm able to find a permanent position (teaching) then I'll be able to quit the second job. At that point, I think it will all have been worth it. My son will have more of my time than ever.... But there were some years where I was just exhausted and it was HARD.
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I don't have any advice, but here's a bump!

Here's also a MAJOR thumbs up!  I'm a WAHM and I feel exhausted at the end of the day, guilty that I want to take a 30 minute shower...I give you so much credit!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN