Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hard to understand.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am all for breast feeding but if breast feeding isn't a requirement then how did women feed there babies in the old days? I don't think they had formula back then. So if some women at that day and age couldn't breast feed then what did they feed their baby? Cows milk?? I don't know. These days it's hard to understand the concept of BF and FF, because everyone seems to say that they both are beneficial and okay to do. Then comes the debate about how Breast is better than formula and all those sorts of judgments. I just don't know what to rely on any longer. People make it sound that breast feeding is not needed and that formula is a better route. But don't moms care and realize that breast milk was made for the baby they give birth to..? DOES IT MEAN that moms are lazy or careless if they don't breast feed? I somehow can't take this breast vs formula competition anymore. 

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stargaze281
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:30 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this

If those women couldn't breastfeed, they often had wet nurses. 

kymom23
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:37 AM
Sometimes if the mother died in child birth or otherwise couldn't produce milk for some reason, a wet nurse was hired. Sometimes that could be a family member who was already nursing would nurse that baby too. I've heard older women talk about giving babies goats milk if they couldn't nurse for some reason.
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:38 AM

They got wet nurses, or did indeed feed them animals milk.

depending on when " in the old days" you're referring to.

Just because something is made for something doesn't mean you have to do it .

If you are done with the competition then shut up and stop making threads about it.

Ilaynasmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:39 AM
My friend said he couldnt keep the breastmilk down. He said they tried goat milk and something else. He ended up only being able to drink cows milk. Plus, you have to realize the infant survival rate was lower. Im not saying breast or formula is better but times are different. The infant mortality rate is lower. Maybe because we have more options. Blth are food that is sufficient for a healthy, happy, growing baby. That is all that matters to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:41 AM

The whole debate simply comes down to the fact that some mom just can't handle it when other moms make different choices.

cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:45 AM
Learned all about feeding babies goats milk on a rag and wet nursing from historical romances. Lovely way rich women wore corsets a ll durong pregnancy, hand kid to wet nurse and nanny until kid was walking, talking, and potty trained. Lol. Too msny novels I think.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:46 AM

you can't take the competition any longer, so you try and start a debate and chose a side? Poor dead horse.

You're going to get half of the people saying yes they are lazy and half say no they are not. You know this. We can see you are pro BF "But don't moms care and realize that breast milk was made for the baby they gave birth to..?" Also, I have NEVER heard a FF say that breast milk is unneeded or formula is better, just that formula was better for THEM and that it was their choice.They are both beneficial and ok to do. How do you have time to judge how other people feed their children? If the kids are healthy and they are not breaking any laws or hurting anyone move on. Find a hobby. Do you feel sad you have nothing better than to judge others? How boring your life must be! I am all for BF, but lets leave the FF alone, it has nothing to do with anyone but them.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Wet nurse. Usually a family member since families were bigger. My DH dad was nursed by his aunt because his mom passed away giving birth to him.
or goats milk. Or in my grandmothers case, condensed canned milk :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:56 AM

I know a child who is adopted, lactose intollerant and allergic to soy....He was fed goats milk as an infant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN