Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's sad that I'm excited that my groceries cost $200 a week

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 126 Replies

That's a major improvement. Sometimes I can get it to $175ish for a family of 4. Help me figure out how to make it cheaper. We eat a LOT of fruits and veggies, some meat, and a bit of starchy carbs (whole wheat bread, potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, etc.) I don't cover things in sauces or cheese. I use herbs and spices. I won't spend more than $2/lb on meat, I buy on sale or not at all.  Dh eats a lot, but they are necessary calories. Any miracles you can do with my budget? Healthy, clean eating, inexpensive meal ideas? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Bump
KyahZia
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Hell no - teach me!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM

No, Not really.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM

How much is homemade and how much is premade things?  Buy in season for produce.  Look around at the different grocery stores to see whose sales will be best.  This means you may have to stop at 2-3 stores instead of one stop shopping.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM

That seems high to me.....I feed 6-9, 6 adults, 3 children, all organic, for about $250.00 a week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Grow your own herbs since you state you use them alot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Quoting KyahZia: Hell no - teach me!!

I know! I literally spend a full day grocery shopping for the best prices, and then I spend a day or two cutting, chopping, and pre cooking. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

How much is homemade and how much is premade things?  Buy in season for produce.  Look around at the different grocery stores to see whose sales will be best.  This means you may have to stop at 2-3 stores instead of one stop shopping.

Almost nothing premade. I buy lunch meat and cheese, that's about it. I shop at 3 stores every week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Grow your own herbs since you state you use them alot.

No space and no sun. :( 

KatLee42513
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:52 PM
I spend about $120 a week. We eat fruits, vegins, salads every night. Where do you shop? That also has an impact
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)