Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Toddler ripping her own hair out

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
My DD is 14 months. She's always tugged at parts of her body (earlobes, lips, belly, etc) but not to hurt herself, just feeling around, I guess. Part of that is pulling on her hair. I'd never seen her actually pull out hair, but when I picked her up from the babysitter's today, she told me she'd been struggling with DD all day to prevent DD from ripping out hair.

She said at one point, DD had a decent chunk of it, ripped it out, and looked at it... Then went back for more.

Idk what to think. For a child to have supposedly done this "all day" and then come home and not even attempt it once makes me wonder if the babysitter was exaggerating... But DD also seems to have a high tolerance for pain (rarely, rarely ever cries from bumps or knocks or falling down unless it's serious) so it's believable that she would be curious and pain wouldn't deter her...

Opinions? Is there such a thing as toddler trichotillomania? Or is this just a normal thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Bump
smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Honestly, I'm probably too paranoid about sitters to be any kind of actual help in this post. But here's a bump ;)
Nobody needs a dose of my paranoia.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM
I appreciate the bump!

Quoting smurfbitebug: Honestly, I'm probably too paranoid about sitters to be any kind of actual help in this post. But here's a bump ;)

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:47 PM

My youngest is about 18 months (well, will be on the 25th) and she went through a stage of pulling on her hair and it would usually break off.  She ended up taking off quite a bit over a month or two, but I kept stopping her and telling her to be nice to her hair.  Suddenly she stopped. 

smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM
No problem. Here is another. You don't seem to be getting enough replies. Is there drama happening in a post elsewhere? Hmm.

Quoting Anonymous: I appreciate the bump!

Quoting smurfbitebug: Honestly, I'm probably too paranoid about sitters to be any kind of actual help in this post. But here's a bump ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Probably. :/

Quoting smurfbitebug: No problem. Here is another. You don't seem to be getting enough replies. Is there drama happening in a post elsewhere? Hmm.

Quoting Anonymous: I appreciate the bump!

PoisonEyeV
by _ on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Yes toddler trich. is possible.

How many hours is spent with the babysitter?

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:51 AM
I don't know I have never had thos problem but here is a bump for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Monday through Saturday, 830a-6pm.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Yes toddler trich. is possible.

How many hours is spent with the babysitter?

destiny3513
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:53 AM

My son does it when he's tired. Maybe her scalp is itchy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)