Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you use these when you cook? ETA

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM
  • 92 Replies
Do you use spices when you cook?

I'm still new to cooking and I try to follow the recipe as it's written. Example : If it the chicken soup calls for bay leaves, I get bay leaves.

DH says that cooking with spices is a waste of money, especially if I buy the spices fresh. I've always heard that spices can have health benefits and can add a lot of flavor, but I can't ever taste the spices in a dish.

I'm just wondering - are spices worth it? Do you use spices when you cook? Do you use fresh spices and herbs? Do you grow your own?

Also - I'm making chicken teriyaki tomorrow night. It calls for fresh ginger. I have ground ginger power, but no fresh ginger. Should I buy a ginger root, or will the ginger powder work (I did google this, and kept reading that fresh and dry ginger are completely different)?

ETA :

Woah! I've gotten a lot of responses. Thanks for you posts. I did want to add a few things to this post, though.

1. We use things like salt, pepper, and common condiments (mustard, bbq sauce, etc). I do use things like chicken/beef stock, taco seasoning packets, or some special things like soy sauce and Worcheshire sauce. I don't feel like the food I make is bland (but that's just my opinion).

2. My family never use spices in their cooking (besides some of the things listed above). Maybe they had a rub to put on steak or something, but it was always a premade mixture. They didn't have individual spices that they put in the food.

3. I'm sure I could tell the a difference if I tried a bite of something with spice and then a bite of something without. I wouldn't be able to pick it out though. I've always had difficulties identifying flavors in food though. I even have difficulties identifying different cooking wines and oils (vegtable oil, olive oil, etc).

4. I am trying to use more spices in my cooking. I have recently discovered that I love garlic. I use garlic and parsley the most.
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I always use herbs and spices. I'll often use dry in place of fresh if I don't have fresh. If I don't use all the fresh before it starts to go bad, I'll freeze it. I will also sometimes leave out an herb or spice altogether if I don't have it. Ginger is strong though and it isn't a flavor that I would just leave out. I have substituted ground for fresh but fresh is much better.
cybcm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Yes.

DH is part Indian, I am part Italian, neither of us really know cooking without herbs and spices.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Of course
Heisenberg
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM

O.o, you can't taste the difference?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Yes I like the dry spices
sara82lee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM
We use tons of garlic. We use other spices very occasionally.
WinterIsComing
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Quoting notjstasocermom: Of course
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM
I use dried spices a lot but fresh is soo much better! How can you not taste it?
You can freeze ginger
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I always use herbs and spices as well.  It takes time and experimentaiton, but the right combinations are what takes food from good to great.

Fresh ginger will keep a long time, yes, get a ginger root.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM
I don't cook.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)