Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How much do you pay for your nanny?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies
I have 2 kids, one of which will be in school part of the time. The girl that I have my heart set on charges 14 an hour. I just simply can't pay that much. I don't make much more than that an hour :-/

Day care is a no go, so I'm stuck.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:53 AM
2 moms liked this

she is not a nanny then.  she is a baby sitter.

Nannys dont charge by the hour, daycares dont charge by the hour, baby sitters do.

Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:53 AM
$175 a week , she's my aunt though I don't do daycare.
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:55 AM

I was only making 23 a day for one kid and 27 a day for two kids for a full 9 hour day

For another family that had one of the child with special needs I made 25 for 4 hours-

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this
A nanny is not defined by how he/she is paid. But carry on.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

she is not a nanny then.  she is a baby sitter.

Nannys dont charge by the hour, daycares dont charge by the hour, baby sitters do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow 14/hr is ridiculously high unless she is cleaning, cooking and tutoring your kids too. I personally would never pay that much or ask that much. Find someone else that will work with what you can afford.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:58 AM
Wow so many people dont make $14 an hour these days. Its no wonder its actually cheaper for moms to stay home so much of the time.
lucydiamond
by LD on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:58 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was a nanny, I made 15/hr. That's normal for an educated and experienced nanny where I live. I know live-in nannies cost less it that's an option for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM
She's so qualified though :-(. Certified in child care development, she is a paramedic, excellent disposition...etc. she'd come to my house, maintain the cleanliness of it (basically just pick up throughout the day) and prepare meals while she's there.

I don't think her asking price is unfair, I just can't afford it. 1st world problems, right? Lol

Quoting Anonymous: Wow 14/hr is ridiculously high unless she is cleaning, cooking and tutoring your kids too. I personally would never pay that much or ask that much. Find someone else that will work with what you can afford.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:01 AM
I made $14/$17 an hour when I was a nanny. If the kids were older and I just sat there to make sure they didn't set the house on fire or kill each other I would charge $10. But if I was doing homework help or any type of teaching It would be at least $14/hour.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this
In a lot of cases, it is cheaper for one parent to stay home. Child care is outrageous

Quoting Anonymous: Wow so many people dont make $14 an hour these days. Its no wonder its actually cheaper for moms to stay home so much of the time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)