Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I wrong in my methods?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My grandmother and mother think I'm nuts for trying to potty train my 22, almost 23, month old dd. She doesn't go every times she's on, yes she trys to play while on the potty, or sometimes gets upset while on the potty too, but she does go pee sometimes and sits on the potty for a few minutes. My mother just tells me "good luck with that.". My grandmother keeps trying to tell to use candy or other sweets to get her to go because that's what she did with all the kids. I told her no that dd only gets sweets every once in a great while. I don't believe bribing her with sweet to go potty is a smart idea. She gets a new little toynor something alone those lines every few times she goes because we don't always have money to get her something every time she goes. We do tell her how much of a big girl she is and how pound we are of her and all that, and that's ok if she doesn't go at all and well try again later. I'm not trying to rush her into potty trainning, and if it takes a few months or so then I feel its ok because that's just her and she still is kind of little. Am I wrong in my methods?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm doing the same thing, although DS is a few months older. I put him on the potty so he gets used to it, and he has started letting me know when he has to go. I'm in no hurry - I'd rather take a month than "finish" in three days and clean up accidents for weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Quoting plprincess78:

I used M&Ms with both my kids.  1 M&M for going #1 and 2 for #2.  They loved it because it was a special treat for them. 

That what my grandmother did, but she used little Reese's peanut butter cups for #1 and a bigger cups for #2.
supercarp
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I would think so. I remember my oldest dd being dry in the mornings and I had planned to train her on the upcoming weekend. I got home from work and the (summer) 15 year old sitter said, "She's potty trained." I thought that that was proof that it wasn't the sitter's expertise, but her own readiness that was key

Quoting Aujonfire: My dd is still waking up with a full wet diaper. I limit liquids in the evening. Is that a sign she's not ready?

Quoting supercarp:

The exact age was probably something they inherited: an inclination to be trained at that age. Training in 1 day is possible for any child who is ready. Children with bowel problems due to diet are usually much later.

Quoting Aujonfire: Not all kids work like that, though.

Quoting supercarp:

I the the only "wrong" method is making too big a deal out of it or drawing it out over weeks or months. My kids were all 2 years 5 months and it took 1 day to train them and they never wet the bed. Done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Big fan of sticker charts! Worked for my DS!

Kids love stickers.
DuchessScrat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Your method sounds fine.  If she stays home with you, try to get her around other girls in her age group who are already potty-trained.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM
2 of my boys were fully potty trained by 2, the third by 2 1/2, I don't see any issue with potty training that young. We never used candy, just positive reinforcement. We would clap and sing a special potty song dh made up lol
ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I don't think you're wrong.  and not every kid's currency is sweets so there's no reason to not try an alternative first.  my dd's preferred lip gloss for peeing, and nail polish for going poo.  and my oldest was trained on the day he turned 2 - he had plenty of motivation because they wouldn't let him move up to the next room in daycare until he was in underwear.  they even drew him a life-sized poster with a picture of a little boy and a toilet and had all the kids sign it since he was the first in the class to get it.

Aujonfire
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Hm, ok. Mines almost 2.5 exactly and she's used the toilet three times. I just worry about the night time diapers and her moving to a toddler bed. This kid does not like to sleep :P

Quoting supercarp:

I would think so. I remember my oldest dd being dry in the mornings and I had planned to train her on the upcoming weekend. I got home from work and the (summer) 15 year old sitter said, "She's potty trained." I thought that that was proof that it wasn't the sitter's expertise, but her own readiness that was key

Quoting Aujonfire: My dd is still waking up with a full wet diaper. I limit liquids in the evening. Is that a sign she's not ready?

Quoting supercarp:

The exact age was probably something they inherited: an inclination to be trained at that age. Training in 1 day is possible for any child who is ready. Children with bowel problems due to diet are usually much later.

Quoting Aujonfire: Not all kids work like that, though.

Quoting supercarp:

I the the only "wrong" method is making too big a deal out of it or drawing it out over weeks or months. My kids were all 2 years 5 months and it took 1 day to train them and they never wet the bed. Done.

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
If it takes more than a week...then i dont see the point.

But its your time not mine.
Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I know a lot of people start early these days.

I will just go off of my children's ques and wait for when they are ready. My oldest potty trained at age 3. I have a 18 month old that I don't see starting anytime soon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)