Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who do you think typically has a harder time after a breakup, men or women?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 51 Replies

Men Are More Heartbroken When Relationships End Than Women

by Jenny Erikson 

According to a new study from UK dating site Elite Singles, it turns out that men are actually the ones that have a harder time getting over a breakup than women. Kind of blows that crying-into-your-Ben-and-Jerry’s stereotype out of the water, huh?

After polling 501 singles, pollsters concluded that “25 percent more men than women admitted to suffering lovesickness after each relationship, with far fewer guys having to be ‘really in love’ to experience it.”

Well ok then. One psychologist suggested that it’s because men have a tendency to “overestimate a woman’s interest,” and may feel more rejection when she’s just not that into him. Maybe … but I have a different theory, especially if we’re talking about long-term relationships.

More from The Stir: 10 Things to Say If You Want to Destroy Your Marriage

This study only polled people on the heartbreak after the relationship ended. With more and more women doing the breaking up these days, it’s usually because she’s already been grieving as the relationship deteriorated. She’s likely been trying to fix it for a while, and by the time she gets to the end of her rope trying to find some common ground with her partner, she’s just done.

In those situations, when the guy couldn’t or wouldn’t take her seriously when she said things needed to change if the relationship was going to survive, of course he’s going to be heartbroken. Upset with her, upset with himself, and let’s face it -- men don’t typically take rejection very well anyway.  

So yeah, maybe guys are the ones that are more rattled after a relationship ends, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the girls were any less emotionally invested or heartbroken themselves.

Who do you think typically has a harder time after a breakup?

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM
21 moms liked this

I don't think it's a gender issue, I think whoever was the most invested in the relationship has a harder time.

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I cal lthis a depends on who did the braking of the heart?

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I think it depends on who is the one who is DOING the breakig up.

o.0
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Men are far more dependant than women, as far as emotions go.  In that aspect, women have it easier.  We are stronger.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I think it depends on why and who did it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyVoldemort
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM
This

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I don't think it's a gender issue, I think whoever was the most invested in the relationship has a harder time.

supercarp
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

It depends on who initiated the breakup, but men are generally more emotional than women are. The reason people don't understand this fact is that men have to hide their emotions more for fear they will go completely overboard, so they get used to hiding everything, even to the point that they stop feeling some things. Since anger is the only acceptable male emotion in our society, a lot of pent up emotion comes out as anger.

mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM

This right here

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Stephanie nice to meet you.
CotterpinDoozer
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

This

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I think the sex of the person isn't the issue, more so the personality of each person and how the relationship ended.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)