Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bed sharing ... BFD???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 175 Replies
1 mom liked this

I dont get what the big deal is. Why do I constantly hear that bed sharing increases the risk of SIDS. I have NEVER heard of a case of bed sharing that went wrong UNLESS the parents were EXTREMELY over tired, on medication or had been drinking. Also if you follow the bed sharing rules safely then how is it not safe? I would like someone to show me where bed sharing ended badly when the safety rules were completely followed.

I tried to not bed share and just let my baby sleep in his cradle beside the bed. This did not work, we tried it for 3 weeks straight and as soon as I laid him down he would start SCREAMING. We would have to pick him up literally as soon as we put him down. Even when he fell asleep in our arms and we slowly put him down he would wake up within 5 minutes. He was so overtired he would not sleep night OR day. Then I was so tired while sitting up and nursing him that I fell asleep. Thank goodness DH was awake still and woke me right up. If I had fallen asleep with him in my arms that could have been VERY dangerous. When you are THAT tired its just very risky to do that but they need to be fed. I feel its safer to bed share while nursing and when done under the right conditions you can both sleep safely.

Is it really a good idea to let your baby scream and cry all night long because you wont let him sleep with you?? When thats the ONLY way he is able to sleep. If I even leave the room he immediately wakes up, he has to be with me constantly and isnt that what babies are supposed to do?? If nature intended for mother and child to not sleep together then along with pushing a baby out we'd be pushing a cradle out as well. Just sayin.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zacmacsmomm
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Hub and I never co-slept with the kids, never had a problem with them being in their own rooms as infants.  But our kids slept, it was easy lol.  I don't think the risk of SIDS is any different with co-sleeping vs. crib sleeping.  I think it's whatever mom and dad want to do.  Hub and I never wanted to, other than special occasions, but it worked for my family.  It doesn't work for all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Hub and I never co-slept with the kids, never had a problem with them being in their own rooms as infants.  But our kids slept, it was easy lol.  I don't think the risk of SIDS is any different with co-sleeping vs. crib sleeping.  I think it's whatever mom and dad want to do.  Hub and I never wanted to, other than special occasions, but it worked for my family.  It doesn't work for all.

Honestly I DONT want to !! lol I tried soooo hard to get him to sleep in his craddle, he just wouldnt. After 3 weeks of not sleeping I finally gave in. I couldnt believe that all it was. I mean I cant lie its pretty sweet, he just wants to be with his mommy :)

mommy211983
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have an issue because it's none of my business but there are a lot of deaths with co sleeping. I didn't until my son was over a year and a half and won't be with this baby but deaths happen. Google it and you will see it happens all the time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting mommy211983: I don't have an issue because it's none of my business but there are a lot of deaths with co sleeping. I didn't until my son was over a year and a half and won't be with this baby but deaths happen. Google it and you will see it happens all the time.

Yes there are a lot of deaths. But those deaths are always due to being severely overtired, drunk or on medication. Or they are sleeping with blankets over the baby which you shouldnt be doing. Ive never read of a circumstance where a co sleeping death occurred when it was done the RIGHT way. There are always other factors, drugs, alcohol, etc.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM
10 moms liked this

Those who believe bed sharring/co-sleeping is evil are the people who listen to propaganda.  It's natural and benifical and there IS a safe way of doing it.

zacmacsmomm
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM

It works for you and hubby and that's all that matters :).  I would bring my kids into bed with me in the mornings when they were new borns.  My son out grew his bassinet at 2 weeks, he was huge.  My daughter was in a bassinet in our room till around 4 weeks or 5 weeks old, then she went to a crib.  But she was sleeping through the night by then.  We had a waterbed and I am a HEAVY sleeper, I was terrified of smushing them lol.  But of course, when they were sick or had nightmares, they would sleep with us.  I just didn't want that to become a nessesity.  I am a bed time nazi lol 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Honestly I DONT want to !! lol I tried soooo hard to get him to sleep in his craddle, he just wouldnt. After 3 weeks of not sleeping I finally gave in. I couldnt believe that all it was. I mean I cant lie its pretty sweet, he just wants to be with his mommy :)

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommy211983: I don't have an issue because it's none of my business but there are a lot of deaths with co sleeping. I didn't until my son was over a year and a half and won't be with this baby but deaths happen. Google it and you will see it happens all the time.

And there are a lot of death in cribs, car seats and so on but the only ones that are reported are the ones where co-sleeping was involved.  Baby's can suffocate anywhere if they're not placed in a safe environment and baby's die from SIDS no matter where they're sleeping.

Moonbabylove
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM
6 moms liked this
Bed-sharing doesn't lead to SIDS.SIDS has no cause. If a child dies as a result of cosleeping is because the parents neglected to take safety precautions and the child suffocated or rolled off the bed.
We safely practice bed-sharing and people believe that being close to the mother actually helps prevent SIDS.
mommy211983
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Yeah I agree but I personally refused to risk it. I don't care if other people do. I was just stating a fact. I was extremely careful. We used no blankets and used mesh bumpers. I'm saying it's not something I would do but there are undeniable statistics that kids have died I'm just stating a fact.

Quoting IhartU:

And there are a lot of death in cribs, car seats and so on but the only ones that are reported are the ones where co-sleeping was involved.  Baby's can suffocate anywhere if they're not placed in a safe environment and baby's die from SIDS no matter where they're sleeping.

happymomma13
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM
What is BFD???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured